Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-04-2019, 07:58 PM

Re: Will technology be the downfall of man?

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
As one of those 'baby boomers' I have to say I reckon life in those years was better than now. People had time in those days, time for others, time to relax and not like it seems to be today which is 'a race to the end'.

We are also continually being reminded of how many over 65s there are nowadays and how negative that can be, yet more is being done to keep people alive for longer. Also there seem to be more and more people who become really unwell who are kept alive by modern drugs and technology. None of this can be good for anyone, least of all for those who in some cases are not really living a good life but just existing.
Yes Bas, millions if not billions are spent every year trying
to prevent people of dying age from dying or fitting them
With new parts,
I think this is driven by the medical proffession for commercial
reasons not primarily medical ones.
For instance fitting a 90 year old with new hips etc
This, when it is becoming increasingly more difficult to have
treatment for less serious problems.
And, as you say, keeping patients alive artificially when there
is absolutely no chance of even a partial recovery.
Perhaps every citizen over say,55 yrs should have to go to
contemplation lessons toencourage a form of fatalism or
Karma, to get us all able to face the inevitable calmly.
A tall order l know, what do you think?

Best Regards Donkeyman.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Yes Baz, millions if not billions are spent every year trying to prevent people of dying age from dying or fitting them With new parts, I think this is driven by the medical proffession for commercial reasons not primarily medical ones.

For instance fitting a 90 year old with new hips etc. This, when it is becoming increasingly more difficult to have treatment for less serious problems.

And, as you say, keeping patients alive artificially when there is absolutely no chance of even a partial recovery.

Perhaps every citizen over say,55 yrs should have to go to contemplation lessons to encourage a form of fatalism or Karma, to get us all able to face the inevitable calmly.

A tall order l know, what do you think?

Best Regards Donkeyman.
Yes, a very tall order indeed!

Nobody knows or can control the inevitable so why waste time and energy worrying about it? Surely better to concentrate on what you can control and enjoy – today, the here and now – that's all we know we have.

Anyone who's had a life-changing experience, myself included, may know it can be a mind-altering experience too, that to me proves it's all in how we perceive everything anyway.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 12:26 PM

My cancer has affected me at some deep-rooted level. Along the lines of what I have been doing in the past, what is my place in the world? and of course the future.

But Baz46 is right - we have to enjoy today and what it has to offer.

On a lighter note, I am presently enjoying listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd on my phone, bluetoothed to my headphones. Technology has brought some benefits.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
My cancer has affected me at some deep-rooted level. Along the lines of what I have been doing in the past, what is my place in the world? and of course the future.

But Baz46 is right - we have to enjoy today and what it has to offer.

On a lighter note, I am presently enjoying listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd on my phone, bluetoothed to my headphones. Technology has brought some benefits.
Hi Ffosse, both you and Baz, have the advantage of me
on this subject, but to my surprise, l have very recently
been introduced to the so called tech revolution, and l am
finding it to be a bit of a revelation, if not quite an
addiction yet! In many ways l had'nt anticipated, ie access
to music, this forum, etc etc,
I still refuse to use google as l think it will eventually make
my brain lazy.
On the mortality score, l have for some time now been
practising deep breathing and relaxation exercises combined
witha process of making my brain sort of switch off.
Kind of difficlt to explain.
But l find it helps me to recieve a feeling of calmness and
acceptance.
Sorry to waffle on

Best Regards Donkeyman.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2019, 09:23 PM

Deep breathing exercises are good for you - don't stop doing them.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top