Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:10 PM

Winter Tyres

Seems likely that snow may arrive in the UK soon (already has in parts way up North I believe)

Anyone here use Winter Tyres?

If so, were they worth it?

Was the car normal front wheel drive or 4x4?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:15 PM

Re: Winter Tyres

Never used them tbh. My 4x4 copes well in the snow anyway so I can't really see the point of them, apart from the cost and having them changed over each time. I don't think we really get enough snow in this Country to warrant it tbh.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:22 PM

On my landrover I run BF GOODRICH all terrains and they are brilliant both on and off road .. I’d never consider another tyre .. on my focus as I’m running 19’’ alloys I had Michelin pilot sport 3 but just replaced them at 22,000 miles with the new Michelin pilot sport 4s and they are without doubt the best road tyres out there rain or shine
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Oh well took the plunge and ordered 2 winter tyres today which will likely be delivered tomorrow. I'll get them fitted at my local garage.

If it snows this week then I'll report back on their performance.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 05:28 PM

I could have done with winter tyres last year as my car skidded down a hill narrowly missing a bus in front of me, hair raising moment as it just stopped with inches to spare.

What about all season tyres? What do you reckon about those?
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 05:51 PM

On my last car I had Michelin Cross Climate tyres all round, these are all season tyres and I can recommend them, they are quieter as well,
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Oh well took the plunge and ordered 2 winter tyres today which will likely be delivered tomorrow. I'll get them fitted at my local garage.

If it snows this week then I'll report back on their performance.
I think you will have to fit them to the non driven wheels, eg if it’s a front wheel drive, have the two new tyres fitted on the rear, although your tyre fitter will advise..
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

30-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I think you will have to fit them to the non driven wheels, eg if it’s a front wheel drive, have the two new tyres fitted on the rear, although your tyre fitter will advise..
Don't be daft man. They go on the drive wheels which is where the grip and traction is needed. Front wheel drive.

I've heard garages say that a FWD car with winter tyres performs better in the snow than a 4WD car without winter tyres.
Primus1
York

30-01-2019, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Don't be daft man. They go on the drive wheels which is where the grip and traction is needed. Front wheel drive.

I've heard garages say that a FWD car with winter tyres performs better in the snow than a 4WD car without winter tyres.
So you fit your winter tyres to the front wheels, assuming it’s FWD, all that lovely grippy rubber, digging into the snow, at least you can wave at the rear of the car as it swaps ends
Your right about the winter tyres and 4WD, though
https://www.michelin.co.uk/winter/ho...yres-do-i-need
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

30-01-2019, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
So you fit your winter tyres to the front wheels, assuming it’s FWD, all that lovely grippy rubber, digging into the snow, at least you can wave at the rear of the car as it swaps ends
Thanks for the link Primus. I didn't realise the populous is so split on opinion between the merits and safety of getting 2 or 4 winter tyres. Googling the debate on various sites snow.

I'm minded to get 2 more for the back but 2 cheaper winter tyres, just enough so the grip difference front to back isn't massive.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top