Join for free
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 03:45 PM

Fence fittings/brackets

Hi, I'm helping an elderly neighbour with her little back garden. She has a fence on two sides made of concrete posts with large square wooden panels in between. I'm trying to think of a way of fixing horizontal wires - for climbers - to the posts.

I've googled up this http://www.postfix.plus.com/ but something less sturdy and obtrusive would be fine. Any ideas? Thanks.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 03:56 PM

Re: Fence fittings/brackets

Why try and fix to posts? you could screw into the wood fence panels as we have done with wood screws, and the wire wrapped around the screw. Works ok for us. Cheap and easy fix

TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 04:04 PM

I'd do that too but with eyelets
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I'd do that too but with eyelets
We can't afford eyelets so have to make do with wood screws
Eyelets for supporting the middle of the horizontal wire, just feed it through if it is a long run.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 04:40 PM

Thanks Speedy ... pics 'n all.

I thought of fixing to the posts for two reasons ...

1. to bring the wires away from the fence ... make room for the plants to grow around.

2. neighbour's not nice neighbour would go bananas if screw points showed thru on her side of flimsy wooden panels.

But your pics have made me look at it differently ... short lengths of thinner wire, smaller screws, only where they are needed. Inobtrusive, yeah.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

02-03-2019, 04:42 PM

fence panels that slot into the concrete posts panels have a wood frame around them so screw into that and they won't show on other side
the wire does not have to be like a bow string either, loose will still support or use ties as in the photo for a taut horizontal wire

Simples and cheap
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

02-03-2019, 06:05 PM

Yep ... thanks.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
1. to bring the wires away from the fence ... make room for the plants to grow around.

2. neighbour's not nice neighbour would go bananas if screw points showed thru on her side of flimsy wooden panels.
You could glue some small square blocks of wood (about an inch deep) to the panels and screw into that, otherwise as suggested by REALSPEED just screw into the frame that'll give you a good inch or more to screw into before point comes through.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

04-03-2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
You could glue some small square blocks of wood (about an inch deep) to the panels and screw into that, otherwise as suggested by REALSPEED just screw into the frame that'll give you a good inch or more to screw into before point comes through.

neat idea .... thank you.

... will probably go back there on Friday, and get something sorted, if it's not wet underfoot.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top