Join for free
Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Re: Pensioner Soldier charged with Murder in Ireland.

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
If 13 members of my community were shot dead and many more shot and injured by soldiers policing a civil rights march I would want justice and I would want answers.

The soldiers lost control but I don't blame the young men holding the weapons because they were ordered to be there and were given false imtelligence ; I blame their commanders and it is they who should be on trial.

However, it is massively important that the victims and their families gain the justice that has been too long coming.

I don't believe jailing the soldier , if convicted, will help justice, but a trial and potential ( probable) conviction will.
Absolutely right.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 04:01 PM

From another vet on another forum.

Unless you have been there you will never know how it makes you feel.

A patrol will start with a briefing, you will receive an intelligence update which will include IRA and UVF attacks that have happened that week. You will also get told what the threat is, it maybe a sniper, bomber or civil unrest, that’s ok you have been exercised on all of them in Lydd, Hythe or Sennelager. You then get your patrol orders, this again will highlight the threat, and depending where you are heading to, information on the known players (terrorists) operating in that area.

You leave the camp through various exit points your eyes the size of saucers and you’re absolutely shitting yourself! You are on the surface calm, professional and proud. But inside you are crapping it. You are scanning every face, every window, every door way, loose brick, pile of rubbish, car, every thing that could be used as a sniper position or a place to hide an IED (bomb). But it is all ok you have been trained to deal with it all; you have had the rules, you have done the exercises and seen the training videos.

Except it is not ok, because you are only 19 and Belfast looks like Chatham and Londonderry looks like Manchester and Fermanagh feels like the Brecon Beacons. The girls look like they do at home, that woman screaming at you looks like your Aunty Mary and the old man who has just called you a prick reminds you of your Grandad. Then it happens... and you react, you just ****ing react!!!

Afterwards you never expect the democratic pillars that you chose to protect as a teenager, to turn on you for your reaction that day many, many years ago; you know who I mean the government, the judiciary and the media, but they all do!!!

But you know deep down inside that unless they have done it, unless they have been there they will never ever know! The very fact that they have questioned your reaction on that day when you were still just a boy, proves that they will never know!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->

"Unless you have been there you will never know how it makes you feel.

A patrol will start with a briefing, you will receive an intelligence update which will include IRA and UVF attacks that have happened that week. You will also get told what the threat is, it maybe a sniper, bomber or civil unrest, that’s ok you have been exercised on all of them in Lydd, Hythe or Sennelager. You then get your patrol orders, this again will highlight the threat, and depending where you are heading to, information on the known players (terrorists) operating in that area.

You leave the camp through various exit points your eyes the size of saucers and you’re absolutely shitting yourself! You are on the surface calm, professional and proud. But inside you are crapping it. You are scanning every face, every window, every door way, loose brick, pile of rubbish, car, every thing that could be used as a sniper position or a place to hide an IED (bomb). But it is all ok you have been trained to deal with it all; you have had the rules, you have done the exercises and seen the training videos.

Except it is not ok, because you are only 19 and Belfast looks like Chatham and Londonderry looks like Manchester and Fermanagh feels like the Brecon Beacons. The girls look like they do at home, that woman screaming at you looks like your Aunty Mary and the old man who has just called you a prick reminds you of your Grandad. Then it happens... and you react, you just ****ing react!!!

Afterwards you never expect the democratic pillars that you chose to protect as a teenager, to turn on you for your reaction that day many, many years ago; you know who I mean the government, the judiciary and the media, but they all do!!!

But you know deep down inside that unless they have done it, unless they have been there they will never ever know! The very fact that they have questioned your reaction on that day when you were still just a boy, proves that they will never know!"
I have never been in the Army; I have never been to Northern Ireland. Nevertheless, I can well understand what this man is saying.

I'd very much like our greedy lawyers and corrupt politicians to be dropped in the middle of Londonderry whilst the 'troubles' are in progress.

I have every confidence that they would really shit themselves!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 05:12 PM

I nearly did, the first time I walked over a culvert.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->

It can be equally true on the opposite side. Discriminated against by (powers that be) - the local authority, denied decent housing conditions, penalised by wishing to protest, discriminated against by the local Police and the Magistrates, pushed to the very limit and unable to obtain redress for your legitimate complaints, so you do the only other thing possible - declare war on the powers that be.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
It can be equally true on the opposite side. Discriminated against by (powers that be) - the local authority, denied decent housing conditions, penalised by wishing to protest, discriminated against by the local Police and the Magistrates, pushed to the very limit and unable to obtain redress for your legitimate complaints, so you do the only other thing possible - declare war on the powers that be.
Absolutely right.

The Catholics in the north spent 4-5 years linking arms sitting in the roads singing We Shall Overcome, demonstrating, petitioning, pleading . . . . all to no avail

No wonder it all went tits-up.

Bloody Sunday just put the tin-lid on any peaceful attempts to secure basic civil rights.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-03-2019, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I agree, of course, but I really hope that this prosecution of the poor man is dropped.

As I said earlier, I have signed the petition (not that our glorious leaders would take a blind bit of notice of the general population, of course) and I encourage others to do the same.
I'm In!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

19-03-2019, 10:02 PM

Well done a Ted, the petition has almost made the required 100,000

An update on the Million Veterans March,
SITREP- As of 18.15/03/2019 Zulu
Admins have had a lengthy conversation with the Metropolitan Police Service regarding a show of support for all Soldiers who may or may not being prosecuted.
We have an agreement in principle to form up at HorseGuards and bumble down Whitehall stopping to deliver a letter of disagreement to #10 ( suggesting a delegate from Airborne) then to carry on to Parliament Sq to form up ahead of Prime Minister Questions. If we run the show of support as we did for Marine A, then we will have no dramas. Tomorrow I meet with Westminster City Council......
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

19-03-2019, 10:54 PM

A short vid

https://www.facebook.com/joe.geekie/...4708341008643/
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 11:37 AM

More proof (if it was ever needed) that May is absolutely despicable.
I struggle to put into words just how utterly useless this woman is....

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mitations.html

Page 8 of 11 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top