Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Game of Thrones

I must be one of the last people to get stuck into this series. Most folks are waiting for series 8 to be released in April, while one is just commencing series one on my Now box. I have 1 to 7 to get through till the end of May. Will need to become a recluse for a while! Oh by the way, no spoilers please!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 07:26 PM

Re: Game of Thrones

I watched the first episode of the first series - wanted to see it because a friend of mine was in it. Couldn't stand the foul (and unnecessary) language - turned it off after ten minutes.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 07:53 PM

I never fancied it...it looked so violent and cruel.
And my daughter and her husband (who is mad about it!)
said, "Mum, it's not suitable for you"!!!!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 08:01 PM

I did watch some of it as I like fantasy, I enjoyed seeing the parts with the dragons, but it was all too complicated a plot or plots & I couldn't really get into it.
I prefered Britannia, but they haven't made any more of that series.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 08:39 PM

Well I too have never yet seen GoT

I keep wondering whether to get a boxed set and binge it.

My problem . . . .

I am a keen Fantasy fan but by that I mean proper fantasy and for me Tolkein's Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings are my Bible. The best. Untouchable in their depth of Lore, depth of characters, the mix of adventure and love story and so on.

US TV is sadly awash with pathetic series that all follow the same formula. Special effects, lots of blatant nudity and no depth, no thinking, just dumbed down crap. The recent series Spartacus is a prime example.

I've seen snippets of GoT and at face value it appears to be a "Spartacus" type of thing. That's why I have hesitated thus far.

I need a real Tolkein fan, someone who really understands and cherishes the books, to tell me whether GoT comes anywhere near Tolkein or whether it's just US trash.

Anyone out there in that category?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 08:45 PM

It was recently on TV, every episode from the start so I decided to give it a go (with some encouragement from the forum). I think I watched three complete series but still had no idea what it was about. I gave up.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 08:48 PM

Good to know it will be out soon. Looking forward to the final season.
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 08:52 PM

After seeing just 3 episodes, I'm certainly going to be staying the course. Yes, lots of violence and sex, and swearing, but we are talking about a distant world in the past, where that was all commonplace. Once you've basically identified whos who, lots of families and dynasties to remember.( there is even a character called Jon Snow, but fortunately not that asshole from channel 4 !) HBO are behind it, and they rarely do stinkers, so I would recommend it completely.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 09:20 PM

I still need to know from a bonefide Tolkein LOTR fan.

How does GoT compare to LOTR?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 09:41 PM

I read Tolkein's books over 50 years ago, and have re-read them many times since. The GoT books stand up well in complexity to LotR, but to be fair you can't compare the GoT TV series to the books, in the same manner you can't compare the LotR films to the books. The books are always - to me at least - better than films or TV. The books have more time to flesh out plots and characters and (to use an old cliche) the scenery is better.

In the same way that the LotR films are cut-down, simplified and abridged versions of the books, the GoT TV series is also cut-down, simplified and abridged. The adult themes can put people off, true, but that's up to the individual.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top