Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 01:51 PM

Re: A take on Winston Churchill

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Says the person who has adopted Uncle Joe Stalin for his username probably the biggest mass murderer in history... Some roll model..

My user name on this forum does not invalidate the fact that Churchill was a mass murderer and war criminal.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
My user name on this forum does not invalidate the fact that Churchill was a mass murderer and war criminal.
Ah so it is ok to castigate Churchill and accuse him of being a mass murderer while revering Stalin is it.
Typical Marxist logic and hypocrisy I guess which doesn't honour equality for all
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 02:47 PM

Does wiping out 2 cities, full of civilians, with atom bombs make President Harry S. Truman a mass murderer and war criminal .....
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 03:05 PM

Ah so it is ok to castigate Churchill and accuse him of being a mass murderer while revering Stalin is it.
Typical Marxist logic and hypocrisy I guess which doesn't honour equality for all
I have not seen any revering of Stalin.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 03:06 PM

I didn't nor do I revere Jusef Djugashvilli, I merely chose that name as everyone would understand that I am a Communist. As for Churchill, yes he was a mass murderer and war criminal as has been amply demonstrated and documented !!!
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Does wiping out 2 cities, full of civilians, with atom bombs make President Harry S. Truman a mass murderer and war criminal .....
IMO yes. Demonstration of the power of the American weapon did not need to make use of the civilian population of two cities in an act that most certainly was a crime under the terms of The Geneva Conventions.

Or maybe even greater concern is the knowledge that a number of the scientists engaged on the design of the weapons that detonating the first might possibly trigger an atmospheric chain reaction which would have destroyed the whole world.

And yet in spite of that the Septics still pressed the button -----
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 03:33 PM

I guess the thinking back then was very different, was Churchill a war criminal, ? maybe, but hitler was a monster, I guess we needed just as big a monster to stand up to him, ww2, was total war, the dropping of the nuclear bombs although terrible served two perposes, the Americans in the Pacific faced heavy casualties in each battle for the Japanese held islands, as they advanced further to japan these casualties grew, the Japanese mindset was to never surrender, and the inevitable assault on mainland japan would have resulted in possibly millions of military and civilian casualties, Truman ordered the dropping of these bombs to shorten the war and save more allied personnel, yes these weapons were terrible, the world knew the devastation caused by these bombs, in later years , both the east and the west knew what would happen if either side used them, after witnessing the carnage of Hiroshima and Nagasaki..
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Instead of just singling out Churchill let,s look at some other s, Earl Haig, Erich Ludendorff, Marshal Foch, Field Marshall Hindenburg, General Pershing. Did not they too make dreadful errors that cost many lives? I suggest you read The Military History of WW1 by David Gibbons.
The war in which no-one makes an awful error has never been fought nor ever will.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

24-03-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
I guess the thinking back then was very different, was Churchill a war criminal, ? maybe, but hitler was a monster, I guess we needed just as big a monster to stand up to him, ww2, was total war, the dropping of the nuclear bombs although terrible served two perposes, the Americans in the Pacific faced heavy casualties in each battle for the Japanese held islands, as they advanced further to japan these casualties grew, the Japanese mindset was to never surrender, and the inevitable assault on mainland japan would have resulted in possibly millions of military and civilian casualties, Truman ordered the dropping of these bombs to shorten the war and save more allied personnel, yes these weapons were terrible, the world knew the devastation caused by these bombs, in later years , both the east and the west knew what would happen if either side used them, after witnessing the carnage of Hiroshima and Nagasaki..
Bombing predominantly civilian cities was totally unnecessary in order to demonstrate the capability the septics by then had. Exploding the devices over the sea and within sight of Tokyo would have been more than adequate. What was done was a war crime of the first water.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-03-2019, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Bombing predominantly civilian cities was totally unnecessary in order to demonstrate the capability the septics by then had. Exploding the devices over the sea and within sight of Tokyo would have been more than adequate. What was done was a war crime of the first water.
Yes , looking through today’s eyes it is a war crime, but back then it was total war, exploding those devices over the sea wouldn’t have shown the utter devastation caused by these horrible and horrific weapons, the Japanese society was completely and utterly indoctrinated to believing in the Devine emperor, men women and children were taught to hate the Americans and would have gladly died in mass suicides, if the land had been invaded...

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top