Join for free
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 10:17 AM

Ideas needed

My husband was disappointed when he returned to the caravan this past weekend to find the site have had new electric cables put in which means basically most peoples lawns have been dug up and digging vehicles have made big ruts across them. They even knocked over our lilac bush and it's touch and go if it will survive.

So trying to put a positive spin on it we have decided to do away with the lawn and make it into a cottage garden area.

Its a triangular area surrounded on 3 sides by massive native bushes hedge, small golden conifer hedge and the caravan on the other edge. It has a track marked by a brick edge where we park our car on the forth side.

We need ideas for cottage garden plants most keen on some the plants we can't put in the areas the dogs are allowed to go, so if they are not pet friendly we aren't too worried. No children have access either.
Only thing that is really important is we have fairly chalky soil and can only water weekly as we aren't there during the week much.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 10:25 AM

Re: Ideas needed

Look it up on the Internet,Julie,what grows in chalky soil,..but it's nice on here,to get the input of the members,I have no idea what grows on that type of soil,..people say mine looks like a cottage garden,..my garden just evolved over the yrs,I am always digging something up and putting it somewhere else,I have many hostas,beautiful plants,quite a few different varieties and very easy to grow...Hostas need a lot of water though.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Yes I can look it up I was hoping to get a few inputs from our members too as they often have different ideas or more experience than some of the professional gardeners on line.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 11:25 AM

A bit early yet,give it time,as I'm sure quite a few on here can help you.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 04:20 PM

Margrittes are nice for blooms all summer. They like to spread too. Is it rubecka that have gold petals and a chocolate button centre with great early autumn colour? Lavender is my favourite.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 04:22 PM

Rudbeckia goldsturm
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

01-04-2019, 04:24 PM

All of the above are pretty hardy and don't seem to need too much watering
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-04-2019, 04:38 PM

Have you had a moan at the management? That was my first thought.
issi
scotland
issi is female  issi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-04-2019, 10:05 PM

How I miss my allotment, just reading through the gardening section brings a lump to my throat, sorry Julie didn't mean to change the subject, I used to have chalky soil too I found that volcanic ash and some Epsom salts did wonders not just for the soil but for the plants gives a really good yield, also I was thinking geraniums as there are so many varieties might be good for your cottage garden. just saying
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 02:28 AM

I don't know anything about soil...I just shove stuff in and hope it survives....I loves Canterbury Bells Julie oh and Foxgloves and Hollyhocks I have all of those and Delphiniums

Good luck

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top