Join for free
Page 11 of 22 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 08:08 PM

Re: Friend requests

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Phone or Skype the family and their friends. A voice on the phone or a video conference chat will be a lot more satisfying than exchanging a few sentences with faceless people on forums.

I've worked with people who have an assortment of mixed ailments such as Downe's Syndrome, Muscular Dystrophy, Autism, Dementia, Asperger's Syndrome and one or two who are in wheelchairs or use walking frames.. We get them out to discos, local fairs, day trips out, cafe gatherings, meals out and so on, so where there is a will there is a way. At the simplest level, just getting someone out in a wheelchair in the fresh air for a while, doing a bit of shopping and sharing a cuppa is a start. At least they are part of the real world again and who knows how much good a proper chat will do. They don't have to be left isolated staring at the four walls of their living room.
Exactly, Tachyon! Many thanks for rescuing me from a potentially life-threatening situation
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:14 PM

You're welcome Floydy. Sometimes it gets more complicated, involving wiping noses, holding hands and giving encouragement, helping them with their food or wiping bottoms and changing pads when we're out, but what the heck? It's doable.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
You're welcome Floydy. Sometimes it gets more complicated, involving wiping noses, holding hands and giving encouragement, helping them with their food or wiping bottoms and changing pads when we're out, but what the heck? It's doable.
Haha! They won't like that mate, but for some of them it's true sadly
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

04-04-2019, 09:34 PM

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I think, if you target just anyone be your friend then it smacks of desperation. It’s like you are collecting badges or trophies to tell everyone, ‘Look at me, look at how popular l am’!
I never thought of it like that, Angel. In the past I think I have invited people with whom I get on to be my friend; others have invited me. I haven't done the 'friend thing' for quite a long time now, not that I regret having befriended those that I have, far from it. Actually, I think it's nice when people ask you to be their friend.

Yes, scammers are a real nuisance. You like to think they only thrive on the naive but this has been proved wrong, over and over.
I completely agree regarding scammers and trolls. I can certainly identify the latter quite quickly and would never have asked to befriend them for obvious reasons.

I think you have a responsibility to your self, not to just rush in to be anyone’s friend as you might end up being scammed and hurt.
As someone else mentioned earlier, any member can PM any other member unless, of course, they have turned off that facility. I'm not sure how, having befriended the 'wrong sort of person', one can be scammed.

Perhaps I've misunderstood some additional activity that that sort of person can get up to with someone on their 'friends' list unless, of course, you have provided them with some personal details. Can you enlighten me please, Angel?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:53 PM

Talk about sentimental, I have yet to cancel historic requests for fear of causing offence, well, its about time to be liberated, I'm going to do it now, past the point of no return.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:55 PM

Job done, sorry and all that.
issi
scotland
issi is female  issi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 10:12 PM

I see no harm in it, I like the way put it sugarbug, at least you have compassion.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I never thought of it like that, Angel. In the past I think I have invited people with whom I get on to be my friend; others have invited me. I haven't done the 'friend thing' for quite a long time now, not that I regret having befriended those that I have, far from it. Actually, I think it's nice when people ask you to be their friend.

I completely agree regarding scammers and trolls. I can certainly identify the latter quite quickly and would never have asked to befriend them for obvious reasons.

As someone else mentioned earlier, any member can PM any other member unless, of course, they have turned off that facility. I'm not sure how, having befriended the 'wrong sort of person', one can be scammed.

Perhaps I've misunderstood some additional activity that that sort of person can get up to with someone on their 'friends' list unless, of course, you have provided them with some personal details. Can you enlighten me please, Angel?
JBR, Sometimes, who you believe you are talking to aren’t really who you believe they are.
A man might be posing as a woman and visa versa. You might be talking to a ‘friend’ but they are also your ‘friend’ under a different profile name.
Many years ago, on Sagazone. l was chatting to a ‘friend’ who was telling me about another forum ‘friend’ of his who had moved to Australia. The Australian friend contacted me via the forum and l soon sussed they were the same person!
He admitted, he had also been a ‘woman’ on the forum but had been caught out and banned for a short time. The awful thing was, some ladies were telling him very private things, thinking he was a woman.
I think he had a drink problem.
Sometimes, someone who you have befriended asks you for your email address. That’s fine, if you are happy to hand it out but l feel it’s best always to communicate via the forum.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 11:45 PM

JBR, Sometimes, who you believe you are talking to aren’t really who you believe they are.
A man might be posing as a woman and visa versa. You might be talking to a ‘friend’ but they are also your ‘friend’ under a different profile name.
Many years ago, on Sagazone. l was chatting to a ‘friend’ who was telling me about another forum ‘friend’ of his who had moved to Australia. The Australian friend contacted me via the forum and l soon sussed they were the same person!
He admitted, he had also been a ‘woman’ on the forum but had been caught out and banned for a short time. The awful thing was, some ladies were telling him very private things, thinking he was a woman.
I think he had a drink problem.
Sometimes, someone who you have befriended asks you for your email address. That’s fine, if you are happy to hand it out but l feel it’s best always to communicate via the forum.
Thank you for coming back to me about this, Angel.

I'm sorry to hear that you were conned by this despicable person, but am pleased that you sussed him/her out quite quickly.

I'm afraid there are always going to be people like this: weirdos, or should I say the psychologically challenged.

I think the answer must be that we should not trust anyone until we are sure they are who they say they are. Certainly, I think ladies should be very careful not to talk about such private "ladies' things" with anyone unless they are absolutely sure of their identity.

If it's any comfort Angel, I promise you that I will never ask you anything about "ladies' things". You do trust me, don't you?

Page 11 of 22 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 21 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top