Join for free
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 02:12 PM

Re: Friend requests

Lasos ...what harm does it do ...
Even on FB .. If you have two millions friends ..
What harm is there ..

The only harm it can cause is, if you are daft enough to give
out personal information.. such as passwords, bank account number,
your address , your name etc.... then you can have a problem...
You talk to a complete stranger in shops or elsewhere , why not on here
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 02:39 PM

I have a note on my profile page to say I don't accept friend requests. They were a good idea when we started and there was just a handful of us on here.
Some years ago I accepted a friends request and started getting some 'over-familiar' PMs hence the note in my profile.

The friends function has its uses, it can be used to block receiving PMs from anyone except those on your contacts list (friends) .
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 02:40 PM

On here I guess and know it's very different from FB. That has caused me considerable problems with the way it works. Individuals have suddenly appeared on my FB Home page as 'People you may know', with an invitation to make a Friend. Due to historical family problems some of these individuals have been those who, in the past some twenty or thirty years' ago, have 'done the dirty on me' and also threatened me. The only connection to them has been through family members on FB still known to me and also to them. This is the insidious side to FB just in case anyone is unaware, it can cause lots of really nasty problems.

On here of course I am sure it's far, far different. So far I haven't even thought of sending out Friend requests, I haven't been posting long enough really!

If it was not on my Profile that 'I prefer not to get involved in anything like Facebook' I would now expect a sudden rush of Friend requests!
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Diva!
Cheek!!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 03:17 PM

I had an American friend from a forum. Nice looking man with a young son that he cared for with his mothers help. We wrote to each other for months & he sent me lots of photos.
He told me that he had a business meeting in Turkey and would call to see me on his return home.
I asked lots of questions about who would care for his son when he was away, which Company he was going to see ( as I had a friend who regularly went to Istanbul on business) and gave him my mobile number so he could tell me when he expected to arrive.
I then got a message from him telling me that his bag had been stolen & he had lost everything, including his plane ticket to England, his wallet and his cards. He asked if I could send him some money so he could come to see me with a new plane ticket.....and alarm bells started to ring for me.
I said "NO and he must return home to his son" but did some investigations with his photos. Those photos were not him, but ones he had acquired of an innocent man who had posted them on the internet. It turned out that he was a romance scammer who had no mother or son ( they belonged to the innocent man in the photo)

Better to be over cautious, because some friends are not what they seem. Even nice ones that you meet on forums
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 03:22 PM

Do those of You who have a long 'Friends list' actually all communicate with one another?..just curious
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 04:19 PM

I only have 1 friend and he has not been on here for 2 years. I got another friend request out of the blue a few months ago but that only lasted a couple of weeks.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Curious does anyone accept just any request or am I just a fussy cow ?
No, you aren't alone. I don't do "friends" either. There are people I consider as friends on here but we don't need to act like kids in a playground and publicise it to everyone.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Don't want to upset anyone but I don't accept friend requests until I know members a bit more, I am bemused when a brand new member asks to be friends when we haven't even chatted on the forum and they haven't made a post. So sorry if that offends.
How can a brand new member who hasn't even posted send a friend request?
I thought you had to be a member for three months before you could contact people in person?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-04-2019, 04:44 PM

But what does having a "friend" on a forum actually mean? We all chat away anyway to one another (with a few exceptions). The friend only ends up in a box full of other avatars, it's not as if they are going to give you a lift to the airport or go for a beer with you. I get friend requests sometimes and just click the button to add them to the other little squares in my collection. Sorry but I just don't see what it's all about.

Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top