Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Re: Horse dies in the National

I have never indulged, either in attending or betting on the race, or even buying a lottery ticket on the race.

I have neither any interest nor involvement in the GN.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 06:44 PM

I'll reiterate what others say - bloody ban it.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 07:13 PM

What is upsetting is that the horses are so brave and trusting .
Horses are mistreated in all sorts of sports .
Polo is hard and gruelling and they carry heavy people .
Dressage so often interferes with their natural carriage and affects their breathing . ( rokur)
Endurance -it's the horse that endures especially in hot countries .
In America they put horrible heavy shoes on the Tennessee walkers and blister their feet to get them to life their feet high .
Working horses and donkeys in the Middle and Far East have a horrendous life .
They are our poor slaves .
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 07:56 PM

Think a few years ago they were sold for a pound each to the French.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout/south...ovements.shtml
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2019, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
What is upsetting is that the horses are so brave and trusting .
Horses are mistreated in all sorts of sports .
Polo is hard and gruelling and they carry heavy people .
Dressage so often interferes with their natural carriage and affects their breathing . ( rokur)
Endurance -it's the horse that endures especially in hot countries .
In America they put horrible heavy shoes on the Tennessee walkers and blister their feet to get them to life their feet high .
Working horses and donkeys in the Middle and Far East have a horrendous life .
They are our poor slaves .

All that is so true, Muddy.
There are some wicked buggers in this world who don't give a fig for the animals they abuse.
BoxerBoy
West Sussex UK
BoxerBoy is male  BoxerBoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 01:54 PM

Interesting comments, I was wondering how many of you have worked in horse racing stables and witnessed the love and devotion the horses receive.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
Interesting comments, I was wondering how many of you have worked in horse racing stables and witnessed the love and devotion the horses receive.

Don't forget these people are paid to keep these horses in tip top condition.

All the 'love' as you call it, from the grooms and others behind the scenes, won't stop them dying at the hands of the jockeys on the race track though, will it!

It's all about making money for the owners and shareholders, nothing more.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
I've never been to Racing Stables, but we have one here as my partner has two Clydesdales. The horses are loved and pampered a lot and they in return adore him. They always nicker to us when either of us are near, and come trotting over for a fuss, I love the way they try to race his Land rover and gallop along the field beside the road when he passes.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

14-04-2019, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
I've never been to Racing Stables, but we have one here as my partner has two Clydesdales. The horses are loved and pampered a lot and they in return adore him. They always nicker to us when either of us are near, and come trotting over for a fuss, I love the way they try to race his Land rover and gallop along the field beside the road when he passes.

That's lovely Roxy, yours sound much loved animals.
There are not many Clydesdales about, are there?

At least yours don't have to race their hearts out for greedy, money making owners.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:43 PM

I don't doubt that most racing staff love their charges .
I just think we make horses do things that are not natural for them and put their lives at risk .
We also race ( flat) racehorses too young .
There is no good reason whatsoever to race a horse at two years old.
These horses are nearly always damaged and if they dont won their future life is bleak.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top