Join for free
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 07:11 PM

Is Brexit a religion?

Watching Nige on telly just now and the guys behind him looking at him with reverence as if he is a saviour, I think we have what appears to be a new religion in the UK. The church of Brexit.

Do you consider yourself a beleaver?

Would you give up your time to attend Brexit meetings and to go out on missions to convert door-to-door? Is the grass greener on the other side?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 07:53 PM

Re: Is Brexit a religion?

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Watching Nige on telly just now and the guys behind him looking at him with reverence as if he is a saviour, I think we have what appears to be a new religion in the UK. The church of Brexit.

Would you give up your time to attend Brexit meetings and to go out on missions to convert door-to-door? Is the grass greener on the other side?
He's the one saying what the majority want to hear.

Right or wrong, I suspect he will score, in a big way, this time.

As to whether I would attend Brexit Meetings, I do feel the urge to find out what he offers for all of the other tasks - other than Brexit.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 07:55 PM

Brexit isn't a religion but remaining in the EU certainly is.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 08:54 PM

Any religion that is to florish needs not only a good profet, but also a martyr.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 09:04 PM

Oh my god Annie, for heaven's sake anyone but Nigel No I hope folks don't, and No I am not a belieaver and No I have far better things to do. In this case the grass is definitely not greener. Answered in order.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 09:12 PM

Is Brexit a religion?

It's going to end in tears, as I said the day Cameron announced the referendum.

Old Testament bloodshed, lamb laid at your door.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Brexit isn't a religion but remaining in the EU certainly is.
Wrong.

I'd say that the Bill Cash's, John Redwood's, Iain Duncan Smith's, etc., who have spent the last God-knows-how-long whining, moaning and back-stabbing on the Tory back-benches - have more the flavour of religious zealots than people who are simply well-informed enough to know the disaster that Brexit would be.

Hence their hysteria and frothing at the mouth at the very mention of the possibility of a second referendum on this matter. (Not that that would necessarily solve anything, or even be desirable - the UK being, as it is, a parliamentary democracy, not a plebiscitary one).

They are seeing the window of opportunity closing again.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
Wrong.

I'd say that the Bill Cash's, John Redwood's, Iain Duncan Smith's, etc., who have spent the last God-knows-how-long whining, moaning and back-stabbing on the Tory back-benches - have more the flavour of religious zealots than people who are simply well-informed enough to know the disaster that Brexit would be.

Hence their hysteria and frothing at the mouth at the very mention of the possibility of a second referendum on this matter. (Not that that would necessarily solve anything, or even be desirable - the UK being, as it is, a parliamentary democracy, not a plebiscitary one).

They are seeing the window of opportunity closing again.
The EU is more of an ideology than a sovereign parliament. You just can't cope with losing ...
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
The EU is more of an ideology than a sovereign parliament. .
Nevertheless, it was an englishman who said:

The threat today is not that of the 1930s. It's not big powers going to war with each other. The ravages which fundamentalist political ideology inflicted on the 20th century are memories. The Cold war is over. Europe is at peace, if not always diplomatically.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-04-2019, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Nevertheless, it was an englishman who said:

The threat today is not that of the 1930s. It's not big powers going to war with each other. The ravages which fundamentalist political ideology inflicted on the 20th century are memories. The Cold war is over. Europe is at peace, if not always diplomatically.

Just before the 2nd World War broke out ... brilliant !

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top