Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 10:46 AM

Re: First ever photo of a Black Hole!

Katie Bouman: The woman behind the first black hole image

A 29-year-old computer scientist has earned plaudits worldwide for helping develop the algorithm that created the first-ever image of a black hole.

Katie Bouman led development of a computer programme that made the breakthrough image possible.

For Dr Bouman, its creation was the realisation of an endeavour previously thought impossible.

Excitedly bracing herself for the groundbreaking moment, Dr Bouman was pictured loading the image on her laptop.

She started making the algorithm three years ago while she was a graduate student at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).

There, she led the project, assisted by a team from MIT's Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory, the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics and the MIT Haystack Observatory.

In the hours after the photo's momentous release, Dr Bouman became an international sensation, with her name trending on Twitter.
Well done, Katie .....
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 11:37 AM

Event horizon? I thought this thread was about science
not brexit?
However, l do have a couple of my own theories about
this phenomenon. But l have lots of questions too,one
of which is about the speed of light! whch has for decades
been used as a constant figure in various maths formulas
& theories, ie, theory of relativity!
Surely current theories about black holes cast doubt on
any results obtained from these previous findings?
The reason l ask this is that it is suggested that light
Cannot escape from a black hole due to the immense
gravity field thought to be present in black holes!
Surely if this is so, then that infers that the light has been
stopped!
It then follows that the speed of light can be altered!
And that the range of variation can be from zero up to
the maximum speed as recognised at present?
And maybe even exceed the the now ' so called' speed of
light.
Can anybody confirm or disprove my idea!

Best Regards Donkeyman.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
It looks like a bum hole to me.:lol
I was watching Robert Peston last night and a remark on there made me laugh. Someone said it's what Brexit looks like from outer space.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 03:38 PM

So, so pleased you shared this photo. It gets nerdy people like me giggling and dancing (offbeat of course).

In what other science, government, or even family can one get the kind of cooperation and collegiality to make such a photo possible?

Ah, those beautiful shared algorithms!

http://news.mit.edu/2016/method-image-black-holes-0606
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Well done, Katie .....
Nothing like the stuffy old blokes with elbow patches.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
It's a supermassive black hole called Sagittarius A* and is 26,000 light years from Earth.

The photo has been taken using the Event Horizon Telescope which consists of a number of telescopes spread across the planet.
26,000 LIGHT YEARS away !!!!!

Great !

Should be a doddle then to point the scope at the moon and show us some pics of the remaining lunar lander platform and lunar rover vehicle from the 1969 landings then. . . . !

I mean the moon is only a measly 384,400 km away !

Ahh!

The Event Horizon is a collection of RADIO telescopes so visual telescopes. Shame. I guess the picture of the black hole is thus some "artists impression" from a set of programmed algorithms as Surfermom mentioned.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-04-2019, 06:51 PM

I understood that it was not an artist's impression but an actual photo made by combining images taken by worldwide telescopes.

That was the point of the news bulletin, that it was NOT an artist's impression, but the first actual photo.

Please don't ask me for the physics; I am merely reporting what the news said!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 01:31 PM

The secret of photographing a black hole is to stand well back.

Anyway it is not an optical photo as I understand it (and remembering that I never got past page 4 of "A Brief History of Time") it is a coloured frequency chart of radio emissions (different frequencies representing different elements/gases?) from the area of the black hole and it is a big hole too.

BTW the photo is of a black hole M87 which is 55 million light years away not 26000 - Sagittarius A is at the centre of our own galaxy and there is not a photo of that yet - I think there is some confusion here.

It took half a tonne of HDDs of data to create that image. The antenna was the equivalent of the size of a planet (or nearly - that bit I do understand)

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
(Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2019, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->

Well done, Katie .....
Indeed, well done that lass
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Nothing like the stuffy old blokes with elbow patches.
Or aging women over 50 who need reading glasses and wear skirts below the knee .

Originally Posted by Realist ->

The Event Horizon is a collection of RADIO telescopes so visual telescopes. Shame. I guess the picture of the black hole is thus some "artists impression" from a set of programmed algorithms as Surfermom mentioned.
Good catch, Realist. I mistakenly referred to the M87 black hole as a photo (suggesting that it was taken in a visible wavelength), not an image. You are correct, it is most definitely and amalgam of radio signals collected by many radio telescopes. It's an image.

More, it''s an image of backlighting through the shadow of the black hole.

The longer-than-visible-light radio wavelengths were chosen for imaging because matter spiraling into the accretion disk around the black hole release tremendous amounts of radio waves due the heating of the spiraling matter.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The secret of photographing a black hole is to stand well back.

Anyway it is not an optical photo as I understand it (and remembering that I never got past page 4 of "A Brief History of Time") it is a coloured frequency chart of radio emissions (different frequencies representing different elements/gases?) from the area of the black hole and it is a big hole too.

BTW the photo is of a black hole M87 which is 55 million light years away not 26000 - Sagittarius A is at the centre of our own galaxy and there is not a photo of that yet - I think there is some confusion here.

It took half a tonne of HDDs of data to create that image. The antenna was the equivalent of the size of a planet (or nearly - that bit I do understand)

“Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.”
(Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
Good point, safety first . Interesting post, Bruce.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top