Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 06:12 PM

Dandelions!

I've just uprooted about five or six luxurious and flowering dandelions.

I was just wondering whether anyone knew where they came from.

I realise that there are the dandelion clocks with spores but the dratted things have to flower before they can spread their seed, so do they hibernate if you don't get the whole root out and spring from what's left? They always seem to be in the same places so I am wondering whether I am accidentally leaving a little which can then turn into a plant the next year.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 07:06 PM

Re: Dandelions!

Dandelion leaves are delicious in salads - and good for you!
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 07:09 PM

I find the best way to get rid of dandelions is a drop of table salt in the middle of the plant and if it is very dry a tiny drop of water. I have tried this and it works. After a couple of days the weed dies.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 07:52 PM

You do have to get the root out which can go very deep
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Dandelion leaves are delicious in salads - and good for you!
ST it's so funny because I was thinking this when I was digging them up and was planning to google to check if it's ok to eat the weeds or whether it's a special variety. I was planning to check dandelion and burdock too to see what else you can do with the dratted things. What is burdock??

So you can just add the leaves to any mixed salad? It's funny how conditioned we are to buy food at the supermarket!

I thought you could make tea too - is that from the flowers?
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-04-2019, 07:56 PM

The moist salt will be taken by the leaves into the tap root which will kill that as well. It has worked on my lawn. The only problem I have found is that a couple of inches around the weed will be killed of as well but grass will soon grow again.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-04-2019, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
You do have to get the root out which can go very deep
So if I leave any tiny big of root in it will sprout the next year? Yikes!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-04-2019, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I find the best way to get rid of dandelions is a drop of table salt in the middle of the plant and if it is very dry a tiny drop of water. I have tried this and it works. After a couple of days the weed dies.
I tend to avoid any kind of weed killers because of the pets, but I had not thought of salt. I might try that - thanks for the tip and I will report back!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

14-04-2019, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
The moist salt will be taken by the leaves into the tap root which will kill that as well. It has worked on my lawn. The only problem I have found is that a couple of inches around the weed will be killed of as well but grass will soon grow again.
I guess the only problem is they tend to grow near important plants too. We have some by the shed and compost bin which don't matter, but there's also some by the rose bushes and bedding plants. So for those more delicate areas would you suggest digging up (and making sure I get the entire root)?
big ben
United Kingdom

14-04-2019, 08:58 PM

If you can avoid getting salt on your bedding plants, fine. The dandelion flower comes from the centre of the plant. Break that off and then put a wee drop of moist salt right in the centre. It will take a couple of days for it to take effect but I have found it works fine. I also sprinkle in the cracks between paving slabs. Good luck.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top