Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 08:39 AM

Re: Does anyone else....

In every episode I've ever watched, the punter is disappointed with the valuation, but out of courtesy, acts happy.

They made an episode near us back in the 80s, we were invited to go along with three items, we sat and the items were checked out. We were told they'd let us know if they wanted us to appear on the show, but they didn't.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 09:00 AM

They came to my town a few years back , i took an old vase i had inherited, i was told its value was £500 so i took it to the local auctioneers and it sold for £380 . I was pleased but they do over value items for the surprise factor .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
There are too many of these type of programmes on TV, especially in the afternoons.
Antiques Roadshow used to be okay but now most of the experts are interchangeable with Flog It, David Dickenson's Deal whatever and that terrible programme where two auctioneers tramp around middle class villages via an old sports car. That pr!ck with the glasses in the pinstripe jacket and yellow trousers, the two old pompous baldy blokes and that horrendous frumpy Scots woman with the black split ends haircut and that droning voice. Paul Dickenson in his purple velvet jacket gushing all over an old lady's prized attic find about the value of a Thunderbirds Lady Penelope Fab1 car and all that moneygrabbing garbage.
Bores the pants off me.
Summed up nicely!!!

You missed the guy with the feather in his hat and the helium voice.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 10:41 AM

When I was young, I hated the Roadshow music because it meant it was Sunday evening which meant school the next day. As I grew older, I quite enjoyed AR and have done until the recent influx of new 'experts'. The producers must have found them in the pc cupboard.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I used to like it but it's a bit old hat now....there are only so many times you can be amazed at something so ordinary looking can be so valuable...I think it's had it's day.
Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When I was young, I hated the Roadshow music because it meant it was Sunday evening which meant school the next day. As I grew older, I quite enjoyed AR and have done until the recent influx of new 'experts'. The producers must have found them in the pc cupboard.
I still watch it but Fiona's ingratiating voice gets on my nerves and the increasingly "relaxed" presentation takes it downmarket, IMO. Nevertheless, once in a blue moon, a real "treasure" turns up .....

The Crawley Silver (1993):

Arrived in a carrier bag - worth £350,000 .....

The Faberge Flower (2018)

Colonel Stamford Cartwright, who took the object in on behalf of the squadron, known as B (Staffs, Warwick and Worcs Yeo) Sqn The Royal Yeomanry, said "Because you grew up with it you tend to treat it as part of the furniture." he said.

The ornament was gifted to the squadron, then known as the Queen's Own Worcestershire Hussars, in 1904 by Georgina, Countess of Dudley, the wife of Lord Dudley, the second in command of the regiment.

Geoffrey Munn said his "pulse was racing" at the sight of the precious object. "It is the rarest, most poetic manifestation of Faberge's work that one could ever hope to see."

He valued it at £1,000,000.00 .....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Floydy, do you realise, you have just trashed all that is being "English"
No, Americans have their versions too. You can't win, theirs are full of loud, brash people and ours are a bunch of m iddle class toffs.

Summed up nicely!!!

You missed the guy with the feather in his hat and the helium voice.
I know who you mean, LD. But there are some experts who are okay. I love that young-ish blonde woman. She's always cheerful without being uppity like the rest of them.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

15-04-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
No, Americans have their versions too. You can't win, theirs are full of loud, brash people and ours are a bunch of m iddle class toffs.

I know who you mean, LD. But there are some experts who are okay. I love that young-ish blonde woman. She's always cheerful without being uppity like the rest of them.
I know exactly what you mean Floydy.

I thought it was just me... Oh and then there's Christina of course. Not on ARS though.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2019, 01:31 PM

I thought it was just me... Oh and then there's Christina of course. Not on ARS though.

Yes she's nice too mate. I had to double take your post when you mentioned her ARS though lol
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 12:17 AM

I wonder how much she would fetch at auction?
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-04-2019, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I wonder how much she would fetch at auction?
Mug of tea and a bacon buttie and she's yours, Bruce

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top