Join for free
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Hmm, Wonder if it is True?

Has anyone else heard about this? I've been reading online that IDS has disclosed that Barnier and Juncker have admitted that the Irish Backstop will not work, and there will NEVER be a hard border between NI and the Republic, therefore there is scope to look towards using another method.

Some are saying that the EU had this planned all along as they were convinced we were going to leave under a No Deal scenario and it would go to the wire before they would offer this way out.
Of course, our own idiots in Parliament put paid to that by taking our last bargaining chip off the table, so their offer to alter their red line was wrapped up and stored away.

Now, with the fear of us taking part in the EU elections, it seems that word has it that Barnier & Co are looking at the option of altering their red line once again to accommodate Brexit happening and the scary thought of us taking part in the EU elections can go away.

I hope this is true, and they just want Brexit to happen and we go away. It appears the EU have enough problems with the elections coming up and the threat that far-right and populist parties are going to win hundreds of seats in their Parliament.

I would so like to be on the outside looking in.

Fingers crossed.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 11:06 AM

Re: Hmm, Wonder if it is True?

I did see that interview but cannot find the exact same one again, it might have been on Sky but not sure. However, the link below gives similar comments if anyone is interested:

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/11...order-backstop
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Has anyone else heard about this? I've been reading online that IDS has disclosed that Barnier and Juncker have admitted that the Irish Backstop will not work, and there will NEVER be a hard border between NI and the Republic, therefore there is scope to look towards using another method.

Some are saying that the EU had this planned all along as they were convinced we were going to leave under a No Deal scenario and it would go to the wire before they would offer this way out.
Of course, our own idiots in Parliament put paid to that by taking our last bargaining chip off the table, so their offer to alter their red line was wrapped up and stored away.

Now, with the fear of us taking part in the EU elections, it seems that word has it that Barnier & Co are looking at the option of altering their red line once again to accommodate Brexit happening and the scary thought of us taking part in the EU elections can go away.

I hope this is true, and they just want Brexit to happen and we go away. It appears the EU have enough problems with the elections coming up and the threat that far-right and populist parties are going to win hundreds of seats in their Parliament.

I would so like to be on the outside looking in.

Fingers crossed.

I heard the same thing - I think he said it on Sophie Ridge on Sky News last Sunday.

Apparently they (the EU) backed themselves into a corner saying there would never be a hard border if there was a WTO Brexit, so the question put back to them, was why have it at all.

The other rumour is that the EU (with Merkel) have agreed to remove the backstop altogether to enable a controlled exit and to stop Farage and Co infiltrating the elections in the EU Parliament next month. The polls look very favourable to Mr Farage and UKIP - not good news for the EU one bit especially considering Italy is now looking very economically unstable, Germany going into technical recession and the issues with Euroscepticism all around the member states. Macron has also been handbagged by Merkel and finally giving in to her way of thinking ...

For the EU (and especially the Italian nd French banks), it seems Italy will be a much bigger problem than Brexit.

We will see - like you say, I would so like to be a fly on the wall.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 11:21 AM

Hi

Far too many falsehoods and misinformation around.

Things change daily.

I will wait and see what happens.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 11:28 AM

Seems Guy Verhofstadt has got his knickers in a twist because parliament has gone on holiday and it looks like we are winding the clock down again instead of coming to a compromise.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Far too many falsehoods and misinformation around.

Things change daily.

I will wait and see what happens.
What your friend juncker DID say today in strassbourg:

We have learnt to pay a lot of attention to the House of Commons over the last months. But let me be very clear: On Brexit, nothing can be decided against the views of this House of European democracy; nothing can be decided on Brexit without taking full account of the position of the European Parliament.

How the British leave the European Union, we agreed in November 2018 in the form of the withdrawal agreement with the British government. This negotiation result - the outcome of the negotiations in November 2018 - remains valid. At no time will negotiations - renegotiations - take place on the withdrawal agreement. We can talk about the political explanation of the future of our relationships, if that desire exists.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
What your friend juncker DID say today in strassbourg:

We have learnt to pay a lot of attention to the House of Commons over the last months. But let me be very clear: On Brexit, nothing can be decided against the views of this House of European democracy; nothing can be decided on Brexit without taking full account of the position of the European Parliament.

How the British leave the European Union, we agreed in November 2018 in the form of the withdrawal agreement with the British government. This negotiation result - the outcome of the negotiations in November 2018 - remains valid. At no time will negotiations - renegotiations - take place on the withdrawal agreement. We can talk about the political explanation of the future of our relationships, if that desire exists.
Hi

Therein lies the confusion in Brussels.

It was Theresa May's deal, not the Government, or even the Cabinet.

It was hugely rejected by our Parliament.

You have been negotiating with a megalomaniac incompetent with no power to agree anything.

She did not even let her Ministers see what was in the agreement until a few hours before she tried to force them to agree with it.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Therein lies the confusion in Brussels.

It was Theresa May's deal, not the Government, or even the Cabinet.

It was hugely rejected by our Parliament.

You have been negotiating with a megalomaniac incompetent with no power to agree anything.

She did not even let her Ministers see what was in the agreement until a few hours before she tried to force them to agree with it.
Formally, May represented the UK government. As far as the EU is concerned, this it. The waiting is for the UK to come up with some decision on how the next step will be taken. Note: next, no reversal on previous steps.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Formally, May represented the UK government. As far as the EU is concerned, this it. The waiting is for the UK to come up with some decision on how the next step will be taken. Note: next, no reversal on previous steps.
Eu directive, Nothing is agreed till all is agreed!

Regards Donkeyman.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands

18-04-2019, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
Eu directive, Nothing is agreed till all is agreed!

Regards Donkeyman.
Meaning: nothing changes till all is agreed, so you stay in the EU for indeterminate time. Make the best of it!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top