Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:29 PM

Dogs on leads whilst out walking

I do wish that some dog owners would realise that if another dog is kept on a lead in the park or the playing field that there is a good reason for it and keep their dogs at a distance.

My cocker spaniel aged 12 years is recently blind and so I keep her on a lead all of the time we are out now. She is perfectly happy walking along and sniffing every blade of grass - that is until another dog comes bounding over to her and then she panics because of course she can't see the dog until it is next to her.

If we meet another dog and that is also on a lead then she is quite alright and will greet the other dog with a wag of her tail and a general sniff-over. Those off leads that take her by surprise though are a nuisance - usually their owners are busy chatting on their mobiles or to someone else to notice - but not in all instances.

Does anyone one else have a similar problem? If so, how do you deal with it? I want Daisy to enjoy her walks without the fear that she will be frightened.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:36 PM

Re: Dogs on leads whilst out walking

My GSD is now totally deaf and can't hear other dogs, not on leads, until they are right in front of her. She then starts her intimidating barking which freaks out both the dog owners and other dogs. She is almost always on her lead these days until we are in the middle of a field away from other animals.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 03:48 PM

This Yellow Lead of warning may be of some help.

https://www.yellowdoguk.co.uk/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:43 PM

Roxy, this is the first I have ever heard of this campaign, and it seems a good idea.
However it will only work if everyone knows about it, takes notice, and does their bit to help.

I don't doubt for a minute that there will be some selfish or inconsiderate owners who totally ignore it, but it's worth a try.

As both Margaret and EZ have just said, it can be a big worry when people refuse to spend a few seconds to pop a lead on their dog.
I am not saying all other dogs mean harm by a long chalk, but I don't care how gentle they may be, those ignorant owners haven't a clue about the other dog's needs at all.

Until a couple of years ago, I had a 15 year old Lurcher, gentle and kind and not a bad bone in her body, but she had cataracts and was also getting dodgy on her poor old legs. Some days a puff of wind would have nearly blown her over! But she was happy in her own quiet way, just poddling along in the sunshine next to me, sniffing and taking her time.

Then you get the moronic owners who have no respect for anyone else's animal whatsoever. I would have fought to the death to protect my old lady but why should I have to? I did not want her being made to feel nervous or alarmed.

Another case some time ago, was of one of my current Bedlingtons when she was heavily pregnant, just about 10 days away from whelping she was. She also has a heart of gold.
She was walking sedately along next to me, on her lead, enjoying a bit of 'me-time' away from my others, when an off-lead dog ran at her and bowled her over and over. The owner just stood and watched, never even called his dog off.
If his dog hadn't been muzzled, it would have killed my girl.
She never even attempted to fight back.
I am no fool, and know by the way he was going for her throat, then stomach, that he meant serious business.

Too long to go into any more here, but after racing my beautiful, gentle girl straight to the vet, both she, and her puppies were all saved.
The police paid the other owner a visit.

I can't tell you how I detest those type of owners.
I don't give a fig for them saying the usual . . "he only wants to play, he won't hurt you" rubbish. We shouldn't have to put up with it in the first place.

People might do well to imagine how it might feel if they were old, or poorly, or half blind, and a stranger suddenly loomed up in front of us, sticking his face inches away from ours, and circling round us.
That might give them a bit more insight into how the dog feels.

Rant over.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Roxy, this is the first I have ever heard of this campaign, and it seems a good idea.
However it will only work if everyone knows about it, takes notice, and does their bit to help.

I don't doubt for a minute that there will be some selfish or inconsiderate owners who totally ignore it, but it's worth a try.

As both Margaret and EZ have just said, it can be a big worry when people refuse to spend a few seconds to pop a lead on their dog.
I am not saying all other dogs mean harm by a long chalk, but I don't care how gentle they may be, those ignorant owners haven't a clue about the other dog's needs at all.

Until a couple of years ago, I had a 15 year old Lurcher, gentle and kind and not a bad bone in her body, but she had cataracts and was also getting dodgy on her poor old legs. Some days a puff of wind would have nearly blown her over! But she was happy in her own quiet way, just poddling along in the sunshine next to me, sniffing and taking her time.

Then you get the moronic owners who have no respect for anyone else's animal whatsoever. I would have fought to the death to protect my old lady but why should I have to? I did not want her being made to feel nervous or alarmed.

Another case some time ago, was of one of my current Bedlingtons when she was heavily pregnant, just about 10 days away from whelping she was. She also has a heart of gold.
She was walking sedately along next to me, on her lead, enjoying a bit of 'me-time' away from my others, when an off-lead dog ran at her and bowled her over and over. The owner just stood and watched, never even called his dog off.
I am no fool, and know by the way he was going for her throat, then stomach, that he meant serious business.

Too long to go into any more here, but after racing my beautiful, gentle girl straight to the vet, both she, and her puppies were all saved.

I don't give a fig for them saying the usual . . "he only wants to play, he won't hurt you" rubbish. We shouldn't have to put up with it in the first place.

People might do well to imagine how it might feel if they were old, or poorly, or half blind, and a stranger suddenly loomed up in front of us, sticking his face inches away from ours, and circling round us.

Rant over.
I would like to extend that rant to dog owners who let their dogs roam around freely at the vets. The owners seems to think it is OK for their dog to bother a cat in it's carrier.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->

Thank you for that Roxy - I hadn't heard of it before. I will give it a try, though as Mups says other dog owners would need to be aware of what the yellow signifies. Still, we have to start somewhere don't we?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I would like to extend that rant to dog owners who let their dogs roam around freely at the vets. The owners seems to think it is OK for their dog to bother a cat in it's carrier.

Yes, I have seen the same happen when people have their bunny rabbits in carriers too.

At my vets they have 2 separate sections to the large waiting room now. There is a notice up saying "Dogs to the left - cats to the right."
As long as people stick to it, it works well and avoids problems with thoughtless owners.

One more quick rant is - people who totally mis-use those extending leads and allow their dogs to wee and poo on everyone's front gardens!! Or have them walking 15ft ahead of them on a crowded pavement.

....Phew. I need a lie down now.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK

17-04-2019, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Rant over.
Oh dear Mups what you describe is horrible - it's good to have a rant now and again to air these things though. My Daisy is the happiest of dogs most of the time, even with having to live with the blindness. I am going to give Roxy's suggestion a go and will explain to anyone who will listen what the yellow signifies in the hope that more people will be considerate towards dogs with 'problems'.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by MargaretF ->
Thank you for that Roxy - I hadn't heard of it before. I will give it a try, though as Mups says other dog owners would need to be aware of what the yellow signifies. Still, we have to start somewhere don't we?
Yes, it sounds like a good idea but I suppose if a dog is already off the lead, there's no way of stopping it bounding over anyway. It's a start though.

Personally I think all dogs should be on a lead in public places, I do get that all dogs have different temperaments and that would mean restricting certain dogs who are of a nicer nature but we need rules as we do with humans.
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->

Wow Roxy. Way to go.
I hadn’t heard of this before either.
In the past I’ve had a diabetic blind dog prone to epileptic seizures and could have really used this this. She did have her own dog stroller though

Good luck to you Margaret.
I love when threads like this actually become helpful to others

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top