Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 05:22 PM

Re: Hanging baskets and raised beds advice please.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Hi SG.

Marge has been very busy but has now written what advice she feels she can offer:

Most important determinants about what you should chose are

i) Soil type
ii) Light/shade
iii) What effort you are able to commit (some plants need more effort than others)
iv) What you like in terms of appearance, colour schemes etc

Give some thought to whether you want perennials, which will come again next year and all you will need to do is add a thick layer of compost mulch to the baskets and troughs, or annuals which will die and need replacing next year. Annuals tend to be more colourful and prolific (although not always!). Perennials are easier in terms of having to replant (or not). Some perennials are colourful in terms of foliage rather than having big flowers, having a whole range of greens, browns and even black interesting leaves – e.g. Heuchera plum pudding.

Nasturtiums (annuals) are lovely for a hanging basket or for troughs as they are very prolific and will give you seeds for next year. They will give you warm Mediterranean colours (yellows, reds, oranges) so pick more upright plants that will complement such colours (white, deep purple, variegated green varieties of ivy) rather than clash (pinks). This is all subjective though because what you think goes might not be what someone else would choose.

For climbers, you can’t go wrong with sweet peas (annuals) and they have a lovely fragrance.

A greenhouse is fine for avoiding frost at this time of year. You can Google to find out when the last frosts are due in your area.

All the info you need is on the internet but you’ll need to set aside some time to research.
JBR, Thank you very much for all that lovely info. Do please thank Marge for taking the time to give me such great advice as well. I really appreciate it. I will plant perrenials next year when I have had a little more experience at gardening. Seems funny at my age to be so ignorant about plants, shrubs, soil etc, but I've worked full time for 55 years and raised the equivalent of half a football team, so never had the time!!

It's only now we are both retired that I can take my leisurely time to say Hello to gardening. HWMO is even more garden ignorant than me. He knows how to mow and strim the lawn, creosote the fences and shed and empty the small fountain in the middle of the lawn twice a month. That just about sums us up! Thank you both again. xx
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
SG if you have bedding plants that are or soon will be above the level of the raised bed edge then I wouldn't recommend netting. It's very good for protecting bulbs and seedlings.
Thanks Annie, I will not forget your very handy tip regarding netting for bulbs and seedlings. I was going to obviously throw the old fly screen away, but no way now. Hopefully, by next year, I will be a little more knowledgeable regarding seeds, bulbs, different species of blooms, shrubs, soil, etc. (one or another of my gorilla's have always looked after the garden for us, but as I say, we have retired now and all sympathy has disappeared from those ungrateful brats! It's now a case of "if you want to know anything, just pick up the phone and ask away". (another way of politely saying - you have all th time in the world to do it yourself now!)
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
JBR, Thank you very much for all that lovely info. Do please thank Marge for taking the time to give me such great advice as well. I really appreciate it. I will plant perrenials next year when I have had a little more experience at gardening. Seems funny at my age to be so ignorant about plants, shrubs, soil etc, but I've worked full time for 55 years and raised the equivalent of half a football team, so never had the time!!

It's only now we are both retired that I can take my leisurely time to say Hello to gardening. HWMO is even more garden ignorant than me. He knows how to mow and strim the lawn, creosote the fences and shed and empty the small fountain in the middle of the lawn twice a month. That just about sums us up! Thank you both again. xx
Marge says, you're very welcome!
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I remember some lovely photos of your garden years ago Kazz.

Do you still have your Acers?

Yeap I do Ernie and Little one, (as you recall Eric the taller acer passed away0 and the Little one is no longer the little one beautiful now and have a few more in the back garden now one orange doing very well. All reject or "£1 bin" acers.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I love geraniums, particularly some of the beautiful Pelargonium varieties.
The really good thing about geraniums is that slugs and snails hate them. They do those lovely stacked planting towers in Europe where the geraniums trail in a lovely way. They look amazing. I've seen them in Spain.

That is exactly as I was trying to describe.
Kazz
West Mids

28-04-2019, 06:48 PM

How is it going?
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Kazz ->
That is exactly as I was trying to describe.
Like this?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	800x545-as-andalucia-spain-grenada-geraniums.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	9443  
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Like this?
Wow! You've done an excellent job there, Rhian.
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2019, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Wow! You've done an excellent job there, Rhian.
Off t'internet JB!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-04-2019, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rhian ->
Off t'internet JB!
You posted it on the internet as well?

You're famous.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top