Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 02:06 AM

Who Votes?

As I have mentioned elsewhere we are preparing for a federal Election on the 18th May. The electoral rolls have just closed for this election.

According to the Electoral Commission 98% of people eligible to vote have enrolled for this election. Young people have become engaged in the political system as never before - possibly as a result of the same sex marriage plebiscite.

One thing about Australian elections is that no one every complains about the result it is truly the will of the people for good reasons:

Voting is compulsory
Elections are always held on a Saturday.
Voting is a preferential system so every vote counts.

Then there is the Senate (yep, we are a democracy, no unelected swill here)

https://www.aec.gov.au/voting/counting/senate_count.htm

Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 06:42 PM

Re: Who Votes?

No one gives a flying f*ck about what Australia or Australians do....you and your adopted country are a complete irrelevance.
I'm more interested in Aborigines and Koalas than Australians.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
No one gives a flying f*ck about what Australia or Australians do....you and your adopted country are a complete irrelevance.
I'll go along with that....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 09:22 PM

A bit harsh. It seems that their voting system is a fairer system than ours.
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
A bit harsh. It seems that their voting system is a fairer system than ours.

I don't live there!

It means nothing to me!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 09:43 PM

Maybe it's time ours was changed for the better.
OldFogey
NW UK
OldFogey is male  OldFogey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2019, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
As I have mentioned elsewhere we are preparing for a federal Election on the 18th May. The electoral rolls have just closed for this election.

According to the Electoral Commission 98% of people eligible to vote have enrolled for this election. Young people have become engaged in the political system as never before - possibly as a result of the same sex marriage plebiscite.

One thing about Australian elections is that no one every complains about the result it is truly the will of the people for good reasons:

Voting is compulsory
Elections are always held on a Saturday.
Voting is a preferential system so every vote counts.

Then there is the Senate (yep, we are a democracy, no unelected swill here)

https://www.aec.gov.au/voting/counting/senate_count.htm

That would never, ever catch on in the UK.

It's too civilized.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 02:23 AM

One of the biggest scares the coalition tried was suggesting Labor was doing away with the Aussie Weekend by taking away the Tradie's Ute - signs of desperation because all the polls so far indicate Labor will take government but it is early days.

Usually Economics, Health and Education are the biggest concern for the electorate but this year is a surprise because environment has come to the top as the policy people are concerned about. 29% of those surveyed put it as their most important priority (at the last election it was about 9%)

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2019.04.20_11h28m40s_001_.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	39.4 KB
ID:	9317  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

20-04-2019, 03:17 AM

How wonderful of you to try to take part. Get your crayons out. Here is a picture of a Koala for you to colour in, perhaps you and Fender can have a competition to see who can colour it in the best.

To help you with your Aboriginal studies here is "How to vote" in Pitjanjatjarra

Thanks for showing an interest, keep it up.
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-04-2019, 05:44 AM

It doesn't matter who you vote for,the government always gets in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top