Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 03:09 PM

Re: Wasps!

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Pesta , I was replying to your picture post and my stupid phone insisted on spelling your name wrong it took a while to edit it hence misspelling in mups reply.
Give over lass, I don't mind honest - I'll answer to anything. So far I've had Pest, Pasta, Pesto
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Yes I'm scared of them and will run and flap .I know I should stand still but I just cant .
My daughter does that. I am allergic to the stings from any stinging insect so try to avoid them, but I do take pics of them carefully, if one gets in the house, I try not to make it angry, they do know where out is & can usually be gently persuaded to exit.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060281(1).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	9361  
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 04:32 PM

Sometimes I shout "get out of my house please " or "go away" and do you know they do buzz off .

I must remember this when I'm flapping
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Here you go, Primus.
The reason for the autumn bad tempers.

"At this time of the year worker wasps are gorging on fallen fruit that's fermenting on the ground. The effect of the alcohol makes them angrier and bolder than normal, so they are more likely to sting people – without provocation. "
A bit like football hooligans then!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
From the surveyor's pictures - here's some nests in the roof space.. not all of them though
That would be worrying, Pasta.

The problem is that you can't just set fire to them, like you could do if they were in a safe location outside - at night, of course.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
From the surveyor's pictures - here's some nests in the roof space.. not all of them though
They are rather beautiful to see, amazing construction, but such a shame they are made by such nasty creatures. How did they get rid of them?
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

22-04-2019, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Nor me.

I used to just kill them quickly, but the other day I caught one in a cup in the conservatory and let it out.

I thought, at the time, that the poor thing can't help being a wasp. God created it as a wasp and it had no say in the matter. It probably thought to itself "oh if only I could have been a nice butterfly".

I must be going soft in my old age.
Wasps should certainly have been at least stingless, if not butterflies.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
That would be worrying, Pasta.

The problem is that you can't just set fire to them, like you could do if they were in a safe location outside - at night, of course.
If I had the bottle, I'd poke my head through the loft hatch and pull my tongue out or maybe sing to them - that would surely see 'em orf.
Shame I can't get myself to go up there
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

22-04-2019, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
They are rather beautiful to see, amazing construction, but such a shame they are made by such nasty creatures. How did they get rid of them?
They find where they are getting in and spray there, then they go up in the loft and set a smoke thing off and close the hatch.

I do worry about the boiler men though as wasps are attracted to light and the boiler men shine their torch on the flue to check it. So far though, nothing's gone after them. To quote Spity - phew!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2019, 09:26 PM

Hi

Wasp grubs make excellent fishing bait.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top