Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Shall we hibernate?

Have you seen the long range forecast????
This is by Rob McElwee, who is quite a well recognised forecaster - can't wait for the update to be published (4 Jan) Wondr if it will be worse?

"

Published at 09:00 on 28th Dec 2009

All times are GMT (Europe/London, GMT+0000)

(Next update at 09:00 on 4th January)

Written by Rob McElwee
Summary
Cold with more snow.

This winter looks like going down as one of the more memorable "proper winters". The wind this coming month is anywhere from southeasterly to northerly - all cold at this time of the year.

All parts of the UK can expect more snow at some time alongside below average daytime temperatures and hard night frosts.

Monday 28 December 2009 to Sunday 3 January 2010
Rain, wind, snow and ice.

A low pressure area in Biscay pumps moisture into the cold air over us now. The result is a significant snow risk. At the moment, the most likely areas to be affected are Wales and mid to north England midweek, then southeast Britain for the New Year.

At first, southern Britain will be mild, wet and windy - rain rather than snow. Northern Britain will remain cold, icy and at first fog-prone.

A little more snow is possible in Scotland and northeast England, especially on Wednesday and Thursday in the northeasterly wind.

Sunshine is in short supply with possible exception of northwest mainland Scotland.

Monday 4 January 2010 to Sunday 10 January 2010

Northerly wind all week.

Below average daytime temperatures, moderate to severe night frosts.

A reasonable breeze should prevent persistent fog and allow daytime sunshine; With the exception of those areas exposed to the windblown showers there should be above average sunshine.

The windblown showers are likely to all be of snow and concentrated in northern Scotland. You can also expect a fair few in eastern England, including East Anglia.

Monday 11 January 2010 to Sunday 24 January 2010
Cold east or southeasterly wind.

Temperatures will continue to be below average both day and night.

Snow and sleet showers will be concentrated in eastern England, especially the northeast.

Western Britain looks sunnier and drier than elsewhere because of the wind's direction. Northern Ireland maintains its average.
Next week

In my memory, February has always brought the coldest and snowiest weather. My memory may be deceiving me but if not...
Monthly forecasting

The weather beyond about a week ahead stretches even the most experienced weather forecaster. Complex numerical weather forecast models from the Met Office and the European Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (ECMWF) are run many times for the month (and season) ahead to build up a picture of the likelihood of different weather types affecting the UK. "
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 04:18 PM

Re: Shall we hibernate?

Well it snowed here New Years Eve and it's still white in the garden!

Can I join your hibernation please?!
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 04:33 PM

Why bother? It doesn`t get better...

The Months
(Flanders and Swan)

January brings the snow Makes your feet and fingers glow.

February's ice and sleet Freeze the toes right off your feet.

Welcome March with wint'ry wind Would thou wert not so unkind.

April brings the sweet Spring showers On and on for hours and hours.

Farmers fear unkindly May Frost by night and hail by day.

June just rains and never stops Thirty days and spoils the crops.

In July the sun is hot. Is it shining? No, it's not.

August, cold and dank and wet, Brings more rain than any yet.

Bleak September's mist and mud Is enough to chill the blood.

Then October adds a gale Wind and slush and rain and hail.

Dark November brings the fog Should not do it to a dog.

Freezing wet December; then Bloody January again!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 05:55 PM

Good one, Claire! I hate Winter, may I join the hibernators?
Wanda
High Peak, Derbyshire, UK
Wanda is female  Wanda has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Good one, Claire! I hate Winter, may I join the hibernators?
Me too - always hated snow, even as a child. Can I creep in with the hibernators as well?.....please?
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 11:36 PM

I'm hibernating too-somebody call me when its spring.........
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2010, 11:48 PM

It was snowing again up here today and made the already iced up snow on the pavements even worse! I am terrified to go out in it! Need a pair of ice skates, but I can't ice skate

Horrid weather!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 03:17 AM

You need a pair of those spiky things that you clamp on your shoes! I won't go out in ice anymore.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2010, 06:57 AM

The forecast is showers down south and gales up north, . . . . and when the Gaels from the north meet the showers down south there'll be a helluva party.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

03-01-2010, 09:58 PM

When, oh when will we have the January thaw???

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top