Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 09:52 AM

You Don't Have To Answer

-if you don't want but I'll ask! In this society where we have become folks who buy on a want -not need basis. Have you fallen into that category...? I think I can honestly say that [in the main] we have stayed true to my parents philosophy of only buy when you have to...but of course the halo slips now and again.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 11:22 AM

Re: You Don't Have To Answer

We had a long period of life where only 'buy when needed' was possible. No choice in the matter. These days we can spend a bit more than we used to be able to. Not huge amounts but enough to feel good when we buy the items we couldn't afford in the lean years.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 11:32 AM

After working hard all my life Chris I am now retired, and with a reasonable pension which I worked for too, I confess I tend to buy on a want and not need basis.

To me this is what retirement is all about, enjoying little luxuries I never had cash or the need for earlier in my life.

The kids are all grown up, the mortgage is finished, and as far as I'm concerned it's time for a little pleasure coz I've earned it.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 12:05 PM

After very many years of financial hardship it has become second nature to me to talk myself out of buying anything that I don't really need. I occasionally go into a clothes shop (not very often) and see something I like, but I always end up leaving without it, as "I don't really need it".

My son gave me a new iron for Christmas because he knew that I had dropped and broken the old one (had it over ten years), but I had got out the Evostick and stuck it back together, so persuaded myself that I did not need a new one - however, he thought differently.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 04:13 PM

My response is much like mart and nero.

I feel that I have done the 'austerity thing' - I've posted before about a childhood where winters were cold and pleasures were simple; there were plenty of times when our children were young that our 'end of the month/money' meals were baked potatoes with a bit of grated cheese, bacon-off-cuts or onion. I went on a school trip when I was 17 and didn't go abroad again till I was 33, didn't fly till I was 36, etc etc.

We're probably all pretty similar in not yearning for the biggest/bestest/latest model but I am not embarrassed to say that we treat ourselves fairly nicely now. I wouldn't agree that we are unduly extravagent and, withoiut wishing to sound holier than thou, we do give to charities - and to the poor frozen Big Issue seller, who stands in the draughtiest spot in town.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 04:51 PM

I horribly addicted to filling my every want. I have lived alone now for many years. I'm happy and very fulfilled. With retirement less than 2 years away I'm filling in the holes for my wonderful hobbies, motorcycling, photography & computers. I also recently added a new car to carry through with a reliable vehicle that I really have been looking at for years.

My parents were both born & raised in Germany and raised a family through World War II and the great depression of 1929. The were overly tight with their money, denying themselves even the simplest items such as a new pair of shoes. Everything was "good enough". They never bought anything new but only used items & fixed them up.

I suppose that lifestyle affected me, causing me to be different than my folks. I work hard for my money and want to enjoy life now, before I get too old to have fun. I hear so many folks talking about retirement plans. A great majority include the desire to travel when they retire. In the past 30 years I've ridden motorcycles over 500,000 miles seeing more of my country than most will ever see. My photography hobby has increased that travel experience.

I'm not in debt because of my hobbies and buy only the best quality goodies at the best price I can find. I pay off things either instantly with cash or before the completion of financing. It may not work to live this way for everyone but it works for me. Good traveling.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 05:08 PM

That doesn`t make sense to me.....I mean we don`t need books, or pets, or cake.
If I want it, and I can afford it - what`s the harm?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 05:17 PM

And the world needs people to buy 'stuff' - no commerce, no jobs.
The trick is finding the right balance ....
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by claireandaisy ->
That doesn`t make sense to me.....I mean we don`t need books, or pets, or cake.
If I want it, and I can afford it - what`s the harm?
I think the thread started was more referring to the difference between things we need, like food, shelter and clothing than the luxury items like extravagant meals, luxurious houses and mink stoles. Some folks prefer a Spartan existance, being a home body and never going out on the town. I see nothing wrong with treating yourself to anything. As others have mentioned, we work hard for what we have and need to enjoy the benefits of our labor. I didn't need a new car I wanted a new car. It's the first new car I've ever owned in my 60 years on earth. I've always bought fixer-uppers that already had 100,000 miles on them before I bought them.

Anyway, treat yourself like the special unique individual that I'm sure you are and don't fret over it.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 05:48 PM

With the exception of food and the occasional glass of wine I think twice before buying anything and only really buy what I need. I am also very used to operating on a 'make do and mend' basis.

As a long term widow I have never had very much disposable income. I am aware that money once spent has gone forever and if what little I have is spent on something I only want, there may come a time when money is required for something I really need and it will already have been spent .

I prefer to save any spare money I might have rather than spending it on something I only want, that way I will be able to buy things I really need. Adopting this philosophy has meant I have never ever been in debt, I have a measure of security and can sleep well at night .

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top