Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 07:59 PM

Re: You Don't Have To Answer

I agree with you Meg. I too have no debts and no sleepless nights (about money anyway). For the twenty one years that I was married we were permanently in debt. He was made redundant from his job and I persuaded him to clear off all of our debts with his money. This he did and very soon got another job and also very soon started accruing large debts again. On my divorce I swore I would never owe anyone anything ever again, and I never have.

I too like to have something put to one side for when I actually "need" something. Like last month, when I was hit with a £400 repair bill for the central heating boiler. Without my prudence I would never have been able to have it repaired.
chinadoll
Wales
chinadoll is female  chinadoll has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 09:06 PM

We have a "Just in case" account for repairs,plumbers etc. I tend to only buy what I/we need but my OH is the opposite. He's like a kid at Xmas when shopping. Since we've been mortage free for 2 years it's made a heck of a difference.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 10:56 PM

As a Depression baby I grew up in the "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" era, and I pretty much adhered to that, especially in the first years of my mortgage when money was tight. But now I'm retired with a comfortable pension, have no debts nor anyone dependent on me, so I mostly buy it if I want it. That to me is one of the pleasures of retirement. Although I do boggle at buying a few things that strike me as far far too expensive (a new Mac!!); although I suspect I will get one someday as I don't have the expense of owning a car nor do I enjoy travel. We only go around once .... these are supposed to be the Golden Years.

Excellent thread!
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 11:24 PM

I only buy what I need!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 11:27 PM

I was brought up to 'if you can't afford it-don't buy it' or 'do you need it or just want it' and for some years I adhered to that. Over recent years though and especially since I took early retirement and voluntary redundancy, and also since my mortgage was paid up in October, I am more financially stable. I have no debts, have a decent pension and just myself and my Hatti to look after so don't really need to think twice about buying something I would like (within reason of course) and I do put a little away every month for emergencies.I consider myself very fortunate to be in this position-but I've worked all my life and feel now that if I want to treat myself then I'm entitled to.......
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 11:36 PM

merz, we are indeed "sisters"! My sentiments exactly.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
merz, we are indeed "sisters"! My sentiments exactly.
I knew it-I knew it-I knew it!!!!!!! Haven't quite worked out yet why you've ended up over there without me knowing about it
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

04-01-2010, 11:52 PM

Nor I; it's really uncanny how we are so alike! I'm, enjoying it no end!
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

04-01-2010, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Nor I; it's really uncanny how we are so alike! I'm, enjoying it no end!
So am I...all good innocent fun
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2010, 02:29 AM

I don't like wasting money, but at the same time do spend birthday/xmas money on 'treats' if I can - but nothing too extravagant. Don't drink or smoke, or go clubbing every weekend tho - and I guess the money saved there goes on Rocky and Cheetah

Don't like debt, and the credit card bill is paid off every month by direct debt.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top