Join for free
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2010, 11:41 AM

Bad Apprentice!

It was 1962 and my second day as an apprentice television engineer. The boss gave me the supposedly harmless task of dusting out the back of a TV. He fixed me up with vacuum cleaner and a dry 1" paintbrush and went off to see to something else. I plugged the vacuum cleaner into the nearest power point and made a start. It was good watching the valves and chassis appear as the thick layer of dust was removed. However, the vacuum cleaner seemed in need of replacement. It just didn't seem to run up to speed and couldn't have sucked the skin off a rice pudding. I carried on doing the best I could. Who was I to complain.

Pretty soon a strange smell pervaded the air. I had a look around and noticed, with interest, a pool of dense grey smoke coming out of a box at the back of the bench. It was a kind of 'heavy' smoke that crept across the bench top and then fell onto the floor.

"Hello" I shouted hoping someone might hear "He-lp" The boss came in, quickly sized up the situation and unplugged the vacuum cleaner. I'd plugged it into what's known as an isolating transformer. This is a safety device designed to run TVs under repair conditions and maybe a soldering iron as well. They only have limited current capabilities and I'd certainly exceeded it by using it to run a 1000 watt vacuum cleaner.

The expensive transformer was a write-off and the smell in the workshop lasted for days. It could have been worse I suppose. Might have lost the bench...or even the whole workshop! Well...nobody told me I shouldn't plug a vacuum cleaner in there did they? But what a good start to a new job!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2010, 12:43 PM

Re: Bad Apprentice!

Oh dear!

It's true what they say though, we learn by our mistakes!

I'm glad you didn't lose your job
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2010, 02:15 PM

I made a couple of other mistakes along the way but ended up doing the job for 33 years (including the appenticeship). The company was called Rentaset when I started. Then it merged with Radio Rentals and for a while, the two companies went under the name of 'Radio Rentaset' until it was changed to Radio Rentals. I think Radio Rentals was the dominant partner in the merger because it was owned by Thorn.

!0 of those 33 years were spent self-employed.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2010, 05:07 PM

LOL sounds like the sort of mistake I'd make
Jamies Dachshunds
North Carolina, USA
Jamies Dachshunds is female  Jamies Dachshunds has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2010, 09:47 PM

It's nice that you can look back on it with a giggle huh?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

06-01-2010, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Jamies Dachshunds ->
It's nice that you can look back on it with a giggle huh?
Yes, fond memories. I really did like the job. I went into a factory that made telephone answering machines upon leaving school aged 15. I was there for a year. To go from that regime to a job where I got out and about accompanying the boss on house calls was marvellous. I liked the apprenticeship years and remember the way things were like they were yesterday. Here's another memory;

Workshop safety standards weren't as strict as they are today. The bench tops were made of lino on top of chipboard. These rested on Dexion (a sort of angle iron with holes in). It was pretty convenient for hanging hot soldering irons on. I lost many a pair of trousers because of this. I'd go up to see what sort of fault was being worked on by one of the engineers. A hot feeling around the thigh accompanied by a burning smell meant that his soldering iron was hanging unnoticed on the Dexion and I had leant against it, so ruining yet another pair of trousers. In the end my Mother said that she couldn't help out with the cost anymore, so patches were the only answer. All of my trousers ultimately had patches on, usually somewhere between the fly and trouser pocket.

That wasn't the only trouble that the Dexion benches caused. The bench top and therefore the Dexion was roughly at the height of the male naughty bits. This meant that if an electric shock was received, the spark went in through the finger and headed for the nearest path to earth. In this case that meant out through the 'male anatomy' to the Dexion. I think this is where Disco dancing had its origins.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 04:00 PM

OK I got the 11+ and went to a sort of posh school-doesn`t mean I didn`t know about apprenticeships though

the left handed hammer-the bucket of steam--and the long weight

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top