Join for free
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 09:35 AM

Freezing Thursday

Can it get much colder? This morning my thermometer is reading -9.0c at 8.30 a.m. The birds were sitting on the fence waiting for me to put out their breakfast. Fortunately the pond pump is still running, so at least they have water.

Apart from walking Cinders I don't think I will be going anywhere today. There are loads of cars dumped at my end of the street, as I live at the bottom of a hill and the residents further up could not manage the icy road. I heard on the radio that we still have a couple more weeks of this to come. Stay warm and safe.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 11:13 AM

Re: Freezing Thursday

Oh I don't envy you in the least! It is cold up here on the west coast of Scotland but the sun is shining and I hope it melts our iced up pavements! The local council has run out of salt!! Typical!

I live at the top of a steep corner and I can't get round the corner and even walking out the back door path and out the side gate, it is bad!

Hope you manage OK on your walk with Cinders. I am hoping my friend is coming to take Loki and I out in a wee while!

Take care and stay safe
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 12:21 PM

Still freezing here too, -7ºC at 8.00am

The sun is shining with no strength and there's not a cloud in the sky, I can't see the ice thawing any today.

I'm staying indoors today, no need to go shopping for a few days.
CeeCee
UK
CeeCee is female  CeeCee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 12:58 PM

I have spent half an hour trying to thaw out some of my pond, the ice is so solid in parts I could stand on it (only for a second to try it). I poured hot water onto it near the waterfall and put in one of Cinders' footballs to try and stop it freezing over completely. Hopefully the fish will survive in the middle where the water is deeper.

Beautiful sunshine, but still well below freezing here.
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 09:22 PM

Blue skies and sunshine here all day-absolutely nothing thawed though. It was -11 at 8 am this morning my friend told me!!!!!!!!! Did manage to get to supermarket as was running out of milk, bread etc. seemed to take me forever to get there and back-its only a 5 minute walk normally.

Last night really topped it for me-had had my gas fire and boiler serviced in the morning-then around 8pm my boiler decided to 'lock-out'-so I had no heating or hot water and it was the coldest night so far!!! Rang service engineer-nothing wrong with boiler but the flue which is situated on the corner of my bungalow had frozen so boiler cut out for safety!!!!!! Up to now my heating is up and running, but as it has to be -13 tonight it might 'lock-out' again...my hot water bottle and bed socks came in very handy....happy days!!!
Hope you are all safe and warm........take care
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 11:30 PM

Oh merz, that is awful; hope it won't lock out again tonight; put an extra quilt/comforter on the bed! When my boiler was down for a day it was horrible; fingers crossed all will be OK tonight. I posted on the other Thursday thread this morning. Take care, stay warm!!

http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=2058
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 11:35 PM

Hope your boiler will be ok tonight Merz. The weather sounds very bad in your area

Take great care if you go out...
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2010, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Oh merz, that is awful; hope it won't lock out again tonight; put an extra quilt/comforter on the bed! When my boiler was down for a day it was horrible; fingers crossed all will be OK tonight. I posted on the other Thursday thread this morning. Take care, stay warm!!
Dare I say it???-the heating is on at the moment and all is fine Am well prepared tonight-got 2 quilts on bed now-Hatti is in her element-stetched out full length on my bed-just hoping the heating stays on till I go to bed-you take care as well
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK

07-01-2010, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Hope your boiler will be ok tonight Merz. The weather sounds very bad in your area

Take great care if you go out...
All is fine at the moment-I have heating Everywhere is frozen here-roads and pavements-very dodgy going out but I made it this morning. Wouldn't have gone out this morning except running low on milk and bread. My friend is taking me to supermarket on Saturday so will do big shop then.......absolutely fed up with weather but keeping in mind there's people worse off than me..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top