Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Dalmagirl
Longford, Ireland
Dalmagirl is female  Dalmagirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2010, 11:09 PM

Re: F-f-f-friddday-y

There are no grocery deliveries here, the only person who calls is the postman in his van but even that is dodgy at the moment as the lane has turned into the Cresta run and is showing no signs of improving. I HAD to get out today for essentials in the nearest shop four miles away, edging up the hill in first gear on pure ice was quite exciting but not as nerve-wracking as the thought that followed, that on the way home I had to go DOWN it and it's about a 1 in 6 on a bend.
Where the sun had shone the main road was okay but every shady part was still solid so it was slow progress. The local supermarket, tiny but it sells just about everything, had closed its carpark as it was too dangerous but I found a space on the main street and managed to get what I needed. I had senior dog in the back to weigh down the car a little more evenly and luckily we got back in one piece.
I haven't made it into town to the only Tescos in the entire County since 27th December and I am getting bored with being at home all the time... I really hope this ends soon...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2010, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
You feel like a prisioner in you're own home don't you.

If you've ordered food from like Tescos, Sainsburys etc, don't guarantee that they will deliver if the weather is bad Meg, I've heard this happen many a times to people let down by them when the weather has been bad. Just so you can keep this in mind otherwise you will be in trouble if they don't come out and you haven't got anything else in.
Hi Ali I have ordered from Waitrose, they don't charge for delivery and are my nearest supermarket only 3 miles away so they don't have far to come if things get worse

I have still got good stocks of most things and am just taking precautions I can't get my car off the drive unless I dig it out and I won't make it up the hill anyway so the only other option is a three mile walk each way
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2010, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Wanda ->
Very cold here today, with brilliant sunshine all day.

Saddest thing though, I went down to the bottom of the garden today (we still have all the snow, as temperatures are so low, so no thawing) and there, on the ground, in a drift of snow, was a collared dove. It had obviously got so cold that it just landed on the ground and froze to death.

How awful for the poor little creatures out in this dreadful, dreadful weather.

I'm not particularly religious, but I'm beginning to pray that this weather changes very soon. I'm so tired of it.
Oh that is so sad
Everyone around here seems to feed the birds, my neighbour has a very sophisticated set up, a tall pole with various food options and a water bowl.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top