Join for free
View Poll Results: What do you want to happen by end of year?
Deal 3 14.29%
No Deal 15 71.43%
Extension of transition 3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Page 30 of 31 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 >
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 08:25 PM

Re: Deal before Year End?

Thanks for that, Bread.

I see that Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan is saying that Turkey & the UK will sign a deal on Tuesday and complete the deal after Thursday when we have left the EU.
That's another one done & dusted then.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN2921GG?il=0
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Thanks for that, Bread.

I see that Turkey's President Tayyip Erdogan is saying that Turkey & the UK will sign a deal on Tuesday and complete the deal after Thursday when we have left the EU.
That's another one done & dusted then.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-br...KBN2921GG?il=0

Bonzer !

India coming soon too
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 09:00 PM

And Spain caves in over Gibraltar

https://uk.reuters.com/article/busin.../idUKKBN2921FQ
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2020, 09:00 PM

I like Brendan Clark-Smith MP!
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I like Brendan Clark-Smith MP!
Ditto.

And Spain had to cave in otherwise 15k Spaniards might have been out of work come Thursday morning.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
From Brendan Clark-Smith MP and member of the ERG.

🇬🇧🇪🇺 BREXIT FAQs - I’ve received a number of emails about the vote on Wednesday and wanted to make my position clear on some of the main questions asked.

Q. Will you ask to extend the transition period?
A. No

Q. Any deal that we reach is not as good as the deal we had as EU members. Will you support calls to rejoin the EU?
A. No. And no, being a member wasn’t a good deal.

Q. Will you help stop Brexit?
A. Brexit has already happened. We are now in the transition period and preparing for our future relationship.

Q. This is not what we voted for is it?
A. It’s what 17,410,742 people voted for. And then we subsequently had two General Elections and a European Election where people were pretty clear what they wanted. People certainly didn’t vote to have endless referenda until one side got the result they wanted - which they still couldn’t get.

Q. I voted for no deal.
A. People voted to Leave or Remain. No deal is also a starting point, not a destination. So long as they are good deals, trade deals are a positive thing and something we would be working on anyway if we had left with no deal. The issue with previous deals was that they did not respect our sovereignty, which is what Brexit is all about. So far we have successfully negotiated trade deals all over the world, not just with the EU.

Q. The ECJ will still control us.
A. Which page of the agreement is that on?
Q. I don’t know. Do you?
A. It’s not on any page because they won’t be controlling anything. We will also have an independent dispute resolution method.

Q. Does this sell out our fishermen?
A. No, in fact it gives us more stocks and will eventually (after 5 years) be 100% unless we reach a future agreement. We also don’t have the capacity to fish all the stocks we currently have. This gives us time to develop the industry and prepare in the meantime.

Q. Have you read the whole document?
A. Yes, although I now await legal guidance on technical issues. We appear to have a great deal, but we want to make 100% sure with all the fine details - this is what I’m sure everybody would expect their representatives to do.

Q. You’re a member of the ERG. Doesn’t that mean you want no deal?
A. No, we would like to see a sensible deal that respects our sovereignty and doesn’t cross any ‘red lines’, for example our laws, our courts, our waters our immigration system etc. That’s the whole point of Brexit and we want to make sure it is done properly without any hidden loopholes, which is why we wanted to scrutinise the document first.

Q. Do you think this is a good deal?
A. Yes, I think it is a fair deal and achieves what we set out to. It’s not perfect, but in a negotiation you are never going to get 100% of what you want. Even Nigel Farage agrees.

Q. Will you abstain on the vote?
A. No, because abstaining is a cop-out. We have been sent to Westminster to make decisions, not to sit on the fence.

Q. Will you vote against the deal to stop Brexit like the Liberal Democrats and the SNP?
A. Voting against the deal will not stop Brexit - in fact it will mean we end up with ‘no deal’. I therefore don’t understand their logic.

Q. Do you agree with Labour that this is a bad deal and they could negotiate a better one?
A. What parts of the deal don’t they like? What would they do differently? So far they have no answers to these questions.

In short, the vote on Wednesday will allow us to turn the page and move on. What we see now are very much the last desperate attempts of those who wish to ignore the result of the referendum.

It is too late, Brexit has already been achieved. A deal also effectively puts an end to attempts to rejoin the European Union. Now is the time to be positive about Brexit and to make a success of if. This is something we can all benefit from.
This is something we can all benefit from.

Which is the only thing we wanted during UK's 40 year membership, fairness and equality beneficial to all member states. UK will be fine.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 06:32 PM

Poor Nicola Sturgeon is spitting feathers because a deal looks very likely to be approved.

The daft old bat doesn't seem to understand that not only will the SNP's stance of saying a firm "no" to the deal in effect mean that the SNP does not want closer EU ties but would instead prefer the only option which would be, of course, a no-deal WTO brexit.
Which is of course contrary to the SNP's pro-EU stance.

But she also doesn't seem to understand that this obviously contradictory stance of not wanting a deal with the EU is also not in any way, shape or form going to help her in her quest either for a referendum or for future EU membership.

"Mmme von der Leyen, please can we be a member of your nice EU if we get independence from those nasty English?"
" Ah but Mrs Sturgeon, did you and your party not vote to say you did not want even the deal with the EU that the English agreed?
That you would have led us to not having the deal which we wanted?
Why then should we accept that suddenly you want us now?"
Zaphod
Lincs UK

29-12-2020, 06:55 PM

The DUP's Sammy Wilson says that Northern Ireland's place in the UK will not be jeopordised by the deal on offer or by Brexit arrangements.

He said:
"I can guarantee that once people in Northern Ireland - unionists and nationalists, Catholics and Protestants - look at the benefits of being part of the fifth biggest economy in the world, and an economy that I believe will grow as a result of Brexit and strengthen as a result of Brexit… I believe that they will understand that their future lies with Britain."

Pay heed Nic Sturgeon and the people of Scotland to this too:
"The East Antrim MP said being within the UK was much better than any alternative arrangements."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55470483
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2020, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Poor Nicola Sturgeon is spitting feathers because a deal looks very likely to be approved.

The daft old bat doesn't seem to understand that not only will the SNP's stance of saying a firm "no" to the deal in effect mean that the SNP does not want closer EU ties but would instead prefer the only option which would be, of course, a no-deal WTO brexit.
Which is of course contrary to the SNP's pro-EU stance.

But she also doesn't seem to understand that this obviously contradictory stance of not wanting a deal with the EU is also not in any way, shape or form going to help her in her quest either for a referendum or for future EU membership.

"Mmme von der Leyen, please can we be a member of your nice EU if we get independence from those nasty English?"
" Ah but Mrs Sturgeon, did you and your party not vote to say you did not want even the deal with the EU that the English agreed?
That you would have led us to not having the deal which we wanted?
Why then should we accept that suddenly you want us now?"
I think we have to understand that the Fish Woman has a one-track mind. Her one and only interest is to hate and oppose the English and everything we do, even if it actually benefits Scotland and the people of Scotland.

It amazes me that the majority of people in Scotland actually voted for the SNP. I can only assume that they were blissfully unaware of the consequences of electing a one-trick pony lacking any logical political knowledge and abilities.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

29-12-2020, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I think we have to understand that the Fish Woman has a one-track mind. Her one and only interest is to hate and oppose the English and everything we do, even if it actually benefits Scotland and the people of Scotland.

It amazes me that the majority of people in Scotland actually voted for the SNP. I can only assume that they were blissfully unaware of the consequences of electing a one-trick pony lacking any logical political knowledge and abilities.

The SNP are all over the place. They are voting against the deal so we would leave with no deal, which is the opposite of what they campaigned for.

Page 30 of 31 « First < 20 28 29 30 31 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top