Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 10:13 PM

Moving abroad - What will happen after Brexit

What do you think will happen after Brexit regarding people wanting to move from UK and go live in an EU Country such as Spain.
How do you think that will pan out?
Will we be able to get our pensions over there, will we be able to get medical treatment etc

I believe people who already live there should be ok after Brexit but what about people who would like to move to warmer climates?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 10:53 PM

Re: Moving abroad - What will happen after Brexit

Interestingly, a couple of our closest friends bought a small house in the Loire Valley several years ago which we have visited a few times.

They only use it as a holiday home and spend most of their time in their home in Huddersfield, although they have spent a great deal of time doing up their French house in various ways. Two wood-burning stoves being the latest addition.

They have also made some very good Frog-friends there!

I have asked them how they feel about Brexit, and whether they have made any enquiries about the future. They have not! In fact, they don't seem very worried about it at all.

I suppose that, like me, they are completely unaffected by all the Project Fear predictions.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-11-2018, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
What do you think will happen after Brexit regarding people wanting to move from UK and go live in an EU Country such as Spain.
How do you think that will pan out?
Will we be able to get our pensions over there, will we be able to get medical treatment etc

I believe people who already live there should be ok after Brexit but what about people who would like to move to warmer climates?
Certainly I will be interested to find out how Brexit will affect them as well as those from other parts of Europe living in Britain after March 2019.

Currency fluctuations affect ex pat pensioners badly. I knew a UK citizen living here who had to return to the UK permanently because their UK pension was insufficient to live on when our dollar was worth 70p (it is currently 54p). It must be very difficult for such people - I didn't know this person very well he was a member of an advisory group I belonged to but he was too old for PR and not eligible for our social security.

I suppose it now depends on whether sterling takes a dive after March or whether that is already built into the present value.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 07:10 AM

Hi

The UK is ending Free Movement, so that is also the end of Free Movement of UK Citizens to the EU.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 10:34 AM

I have no inside knowledge but I have assumed anyone already in other countries will be OK but new movers will have to do things legally with visas etc just like prior to us belonging to the eu. It may be harder for a while but once the government gets themselves into gear it'll work as before. I lived next door to spanish people over here for work in the 60s if we managed that then I can't see why we can't do it now.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I have no inside knowledge but I have assumed anyone already in other countries will be OK but new movers will have to do things legally with visas etc just like prior to us belonging to the eu. It may be harder for a while but once the government gets themselves into gear it'll work as before. I lived next door to spanish people over here for work in the 60s if we managed that then I can't see why we can't do it now.
Hi

If you live full time in the EU you will be fine to stay.

The EU will put on the same restrictions about UK Citizens moving to the EU as we do on EU Citizens moving to the UK.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The EU will put on the same restrictions about UK Citizens moving to the EU as we do on EU Citizens moving to the UK.
Sounds fair to me.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The difference being that, although our government may nominally stop EU citizens moving here, in practice they are completely ineffective in doing so.
Vaniy
Spain
Vaniy is male  Vaniy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 03:53 PM

Well you should have ID cards then its not a problem

Same with the NHS if you had a card with all your details on then no problem

No card No treatment

It all works perfectly in our Police state here in Spain
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

04-11-2018, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Vaniy ->
Well you should have ID cards then its not a problem

Same with the NHS if you had a card with all your details on then no problem

No card No treatment

It all works perfectly in our Police state here in Spain
I completely agree, although I wasn't aware that Spain was a police state!

Compulsory ID cards was something mooted in the UK some time ago and was rejected for some reason. Personally, I cannot understand what the objection could be.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top