Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 07:18 PM

Shepton A&C fair & Clarkes Village

Just got home from Shepton Mallet. The low lying fields on the Somerset levels are water logged, but they are meant to, it's a flood plain.
Poured with rain all day, puddles everywhere, got soaked dried out, then got soaked again.
Why we chose to go to the A&C fair today I do not know, it rained all morning, though we did wander around the halls inside too.
After on to Clarkes Vilage, at least you can stay fairly dry there as there are covered walk ways, but going into Street, it fell down again. I loath that sort of heavy rain. Despite the rain we did have a good day, daughter & I.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 07:40 PM

Re: Shepton A&C fair & Clarkes Village

It sounds like you had a lovely day Tiff, shame about all the rain though.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Just got home from Shepton Mallet. The low lying fields on the Somerset levels are water logged, but they are meant to, it's a flood plain.
Poured with rain all day, puddles everywhere, got soaked dried out, then got soaked again.
Why we chose to go to the A&C fair today I do not know, it rained all morning, though we did wander around the halls inside too.
After on to Clarkes Vilage, at least you can stay fairly dry there as there are covered walk ways, but going into Street, it fell down again. I loath that sort of heavy rain. Despite the rain we did have a good day, daughter & I.

Glad you enjoyed yourself,Tiff...even though it was raining.

Did you buy anything nice?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 08:16 PM

I promised myself I'd never buy another pair of shoes from Clarkes, they don't last 5 minutes.

The Antony and Cleopatra Fair sounds interesting though. "Give me my robe, put on my crown; I have Immortal longings in me" ...
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Actually parts of it used to be the sea, and parts of it were flooded for half the year. People would move in when it dried out and graze their cattle on the lush grass before moving off again when the rains came.

They were the Summer Settlers, which is how Zumerzet got its name.

I've never heard of the A & C fair so had to look it up. We often pass through Shepum-mallet but apart from the odd pit stop in the caff at Kilve court we don't normally stop.
I have not been a fan of the place since Shearings shut down the production of Coates Cider. I was weaned on that stuff.

Clarke's village is like the Curate's egg. It's good in parts but I couldn't manage more than an hour, although there are some good shops in the town itself, and the drive home across the flatlands is beautiful.

I hope you have stopped steaming now and have managed to dry out.

Remember, other parts of Zumerzet are available.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
It sounds like you had a lovely day Tiff, shame about all the rain though.
I should have worn my Winter coat & taken an umbrella, but the latter is a pain to carry around.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
Glad you enjoyed yourself,Tiff...even though it was raining.

Did you buy anything nice?
Yes, Teddies, 2 Charlie Bears & a Dean's bear, at the Fair & a present for a pal in Radley's in Clarkes Village, Daughter bought chocolates from Thorntons. We also had a wander around Street & bought books in the charity shops.

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I promised myself I'd never buy another pair of shoes from Clarkes, they don't last 5 minutes.

The Antony and Cleopatra Fair sounds interesting though. "Give me my robe, put on my crown; I have Immortal longings in me" ...
Antique & Collectables fair, d00d, you funny man.,

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Actually parts of it used to be the sea, and parts of it were flooded for half the year. People would move in when it dried out and graze their cattle on the lush grass before moving off again when the rains came.

They were the Summer Settlers, which is how Zumerzet got its name.

I've never heard of the A & C fair so had to look it up. We often pass through Shepum-mallet but apart from the odd pit stop in the caff at Kilve court we don't normally stop.
I have not been a fan of the place since Shearings shut down the production of Coates Cider. I was weaned on that stuff.

Clarke's village is like the Curate's egg. It's good in parts but I couldn't manage more than an hour, although there are some good shops in the town itself, and the drive home across the flatlands is beautiful.

I hope you have stopped steaming now and have managed to dry out.

Remember, other parts of Zumerzet are available.
I have been to Glastonbury, Shepton Mallet town & various other places in Zumerzet, but we went today for the fair, would have stayed longer if not for the rain as there were quite a few outside stalls too, not as many as the September fair, but worth a look if not pouring down.
Daughter loves Clarkes Village.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 10:48 PM

Never been as far SW as Somerset, wouldn't do to morn about it thought.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon

09-11-2019, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Never been as far SW as Somerset, wouldn't do to morn about it thought.
Nice pun, Spitty.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 11:14 PM

Thank you.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2019, 11:15 PM

If I'd known there was a thing at Shep'n and I didn't have a cold I would've gone! Daughter's looking for a carboyd for a terrarium.
Glad you like Clarksville Tiff, I prefer the high street though, I never find anything in the outlets.
It's been horrible here today, cold and wet and wet and cold.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top