Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 08:26 AM

Microwaves

I have been carrying out som experiments comparing my kitchen microwave oven with the microwave oven in my camper.

Some time ago I bought this rather handy chicken to boil eggs in the microwave.

Unfortunately more recently I dropped it and a leg broke off which meant it couldn't hold water any more and was thus rendered useless.

Joy of joys, I was able to get a couple more on Ebay all the way from China.

Anyway back to the point - they only need a tablespoon of water to make the perfect egg.

I was curious to see how long it took to boil 20ml of water in each microwave - one is 950 watts the - other is 700 watts.

Curiously they both boiled the water in almost exactly the same time of 30 seconds (give or take a second).

I have read that the effectiveness of a microwave oven depends not only on its klystron's power but its cooking chamber volume. The camper microwave is the smallest I could buy where as the one in the kitchen is not the biggest I could get but it is a larger one with both a microwave, convection oven and a grill.

Well, there you go, I thought it was an interesting experiment.

BTW these are my new egg cookers

See! No legs. The one on the left holds up to 4 eggs the one on the right 1 egg and this is where I got them from:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Microwav...EAAOSw6MBdpr6W

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-01-08 23.16.03.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	11393  
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2020, 12:28 PM

Re: Microwaves

So 30 seconds to boil the water but how long to cook the egg ?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-01-2020, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
So 30 seconds to boil the water but how long to cook the egg ?
Same time as boiling an egg in a pot of water, the difference is the time it takes to boil the pot of water. Heating only 20ml of water to boiling point instead of 500+ml is a big saving in time and energy.

It takes the same time whether cooking one egg or four obviously.

In practice I set the timer on the microwave to 6 minutes to give me the perfect egg ie white hard, yolk soft.
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2020, 10:53 PM

Talking cooking eggs, I recently bought a George Foreman Steamer, I should have bought it years ago. I can poach an egg in 90seconds, once the steamer water has reached boiling.
If you don't like it too runny a further 60 seconds is plenty. The trick is to take the egg out of the fridge and let it warm up before adding to the steamer.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

15-01-2020, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by Isa49 ->
Talking cooking eggs, I recently bought a George Foreman Steamer, I should have bought it years ago. I can poach an egg in 90seconds, once the steamer water has reached boiling.
If you don't like it too runny a further 60 seconds is plenty. The trick is to take the egg out of the fridge and let it warm up before adding to the steamer.
That's an interesting point, there is no reason why I couldn't poach an egg in the larger 'egg' using a small stainless steel bowl from the $2 shop. Might take a touch longer than 90secs (plus the 30secs to boil the water) because of the mass of the stainless steel bowl but should be doable, I will have to experiment.

I have a couple of old 'poachers', one that takes 4 eggs and a very old aluminium one that does one. To be fair steaming an egg is not really poaching it but it's good enough.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 10:32 AM

Had to laugh at this thread Bruce...only a man would go into the intricacy of boiling an egg and how fast water boiled in a microwave
Isa49
New Zealand
Isa49 is female  Isa49 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2020, 09:46 PM

To be fair steaming an egg is not really poaching it but it's good enough.
Yes it's six of one and half dozen of the other. The steam goes over the egg.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

16-01-2020, 12:04 PM

The test has been completed.

The equipment prepared... The stainless steel bowl was covered in butter and 20ml of water added to the base of the container (below the aluminium which is not only the base for the boiled eggs but also forms part of the Faraday cage which stops the eggs exploding).

The egg added and peppered.

Initially microwaved for 2 min 30 secs, the white was not completely cooked so it was nuked for another 1 min 30 secs...

...which produced this:

An extra 30 secs might have been better to completely firm up the white but it was very edible as it was.

A thinner, lighter container would reduce cooking time because that one weighs 51 gms which is quite a mass to heat up and stainless steel is not a good conductor of heat.

There you go 4 minutes in the microwave produced an acceptable poached egg.

QED

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020489.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	11440   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020492.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	11441   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020493.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	11442   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020496.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	11443  
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2020, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
The test has been completed.

The equipment prepared... The stainless steel bowl was covered in butter and 20ml of water added to the base of the container (below the aluminium which is not only the base for the boiled eggs but also forms part of the Faraday cage which stops the eggs exploding).

The egg added and peppered.

Initially microwaved for 2 min 30 secs, the white was not completely cooked so it was nuked for another 1 min 30 secs...

...which produced this:

An extra 30 secs might have been better to completely firm up the white but it was very edible as it was.

A thinner, lighter container would reduce cooking time because that one weighs 51 gms which is quite a mass to heat up and stainless steel is not a good conductor of heat.

There you go 4 minutes in the microwave produced an acceptable poached egg.

QED
oh my giddy aunts, I want to eat that egg!! Looks like perfection to me!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top