Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 11:51 AM

Empty Property

Now the John Lewis are closing many old established Stores,
can't the goverment see that these buildings could be converted to living accomadation for thousands of 'First Time Buyers?
Also many other empty properties out of the Town coud be converted with good management into rehabitation dwellings for Alcohol and Drug abusers.
Also for the homeless too.

There is more than enough empty property to house everyone, much of it owned by Local Councils nd Church of England.
This would help the Economy and bring employment to many.

If the Local Councilx plead poverty, Buiders would be eager to start this work.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 11:55 AM

Re: Empty Property

Builders don’t work for pea nuts Azure they want paying vast sums.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 12:02 PM

I think builders would probably want generously greased handshakes before tackling any major project now.
Government backed financial incentives spring to mind ... especially as at the moment the cure for the economy seems to be 'spend, spend, spend'.
Ask and thee shall get.

They'll want the empty buildings for next to nothing .. and I doubt the Church of E will feel that charitable and I wouldn't blame them.
Even if there is a chronic shortage of cheap affordable housing I never approve of any scheme that entails any kind of compulsory purchase order issued on the rightful owner, even if it's on empty property.

What kind of property do first time buyers want these days anyway?
I thought most of them stayed close to their overdraft facilities at home with mum and dad?

Rehabilitation centres for drug and alcohol abuser .. sorry, not near me thank you.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 12:25 PM

I expect they're hoping for another large chain to buy them, Primark etc. Either that or fill with smaller outlets similar to the way garden centres seem to be doing.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 12:33 PM

Aldi might buy them they seem to be doing well .
The Germans seem to be able to turn a profit .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 12:41 PM

Hi

Many of the properties are owned by property companies.

They can claim them as a Tax Loss.

Empty properties lower the value of nearby properties and they can then buy them up cheaply and redevelop the whole block.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 12:59 PM

I agree that town centres now need to find a new purpose. It seems an irony that councils have spent decades granting permission for massive out of town retail parks and then seem surprised that no-one wants to shop in town centres. Forget retail then in town centres and convert as much as possible into residential and leisure facilities.

The high street is dead, move on...
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 01:06 PM

Hi

Some years ago there was a government grant scheme for flats over shops in smaller town centres.

This worked very well and the payback was a percentage of them had to be used as social housing for a few years, after which they could be sold on.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Many of the properties are owned by property companies.

They can claim them as a Tax Loss.

Empty properties lower the value of nearby properties and they can then buy them up cheaply and redevelop the whole block.
It will lower the value to half of nothing if they fill the 'empties' up with drunks, druggies and immigrants!
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-07-2020, 02:18 PM

All well and good that online shopping seems to be the way now, after lockdown forced this on many people. Don't overlook though, the fact that the extortionate business rates councils charge on shops and business will have to be found elsewhere. This may mean Council Tax will have to increase to fund the shortfall, it's an easy source of instant revenue. My extortionate Council Tax, at almost £50 a week for emptying one bin weekly, is high enough I reckon. Individually I am already paying probably three or four times what the average family pay anyway, and that's with the 25% single occupier discount! I certainly do not want to pay any more for what I consider is a rip-off tax anyway.

The future 'high street' may just consist of charity shops, that's how it seems to be going already anyway. They only pay 20% of the full business rates I believe and often that is donated by the council, in other words us!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top