Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 01:30 PM

Re: Kindle recommendations wanted

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I will reiterate what Bruce says there.

Kindles are NOT good with PDF files. They don't read well and often don't page break where you want them.

I will also, again, counsel against a Kindle. Do your research because there are lots of testimonies out there saying that the more recent iterations of Kindles simply don't last. The original Kindles were great (though ultimately packed in) but the newer Kindles are apparently really poor. If you opt for one you may well be back here in just 1 year's time telling us you're in the market for another new eReader.

Caveat Emptor
AFAIAA, the Kobos can't handle audio which was one of the requirements of the OP - the newest Kindles have Bluetooth capability for this purpose.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
AFAIAA, the Kobos can't handle audio which was one of the requirements of the OP - the newest Kindles have Bluetooth capability for this purpose.
I have to say that my current Sony doesn't handle audio files either though the one it replaced did. However the new one is much smaller and lighter than the previous one which was made of ali but both have the same screen size.

Personally I am not sure that lack of audio is a great loss these days because any phone can handle audio and with a pair or earphones/buds or Bluetooth speakers/headphones probably do it better or at worst as well. Who doesn't carry their phone with them at all times?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I have to say that my current Sony doesn't handle audio files either though the one it replaced did. However the new one is much smaller and lighter than the previous one which was made of ali but both have the same screen size.

Personally I am not sure that lack of audio is a great loss these days because any phone can handle audio and with a pair or earphones/buds or Bluetooth speakers/headphones probably do it better or at worst as well. Who doesn't carry their phone with them at all times?
Not to thee and me maybe but maybe to the OP who perhaps doesn't want to carry multiple devices around? A one-stop solution may be what Lindyloo requires?

However, from all of these posts she should be able to draw her own conclusions and decide what's best for her.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2019, 07:25 PM

Not to thee and me maybe but maybe to the OP who perhaps doesn't want to carry multiple devices around? A one-stop solution may be what Lindyloo requires?

However, from all of these posts she should be able to draw her own conclusions and decide what's best for her.
Yes - my own thoughts too and I have drawn my conclusion that The Amazon Paperwhite will be just what is needed.

Other devices for music, PDF etc..........I already have Sony Xperia tablet which I hardly use, which should be great for downloading my sheet music into - and maybe mp3's.......but I tend to use my laptop for that anyway!

Thanks again to all - decision made!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks again to all - decision made!
Look forward to your post in a year's time when it's packed in
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire

14-06-2019, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Look forward to your post in a year's time when it's packed in
I've had mine for over five years with no problems whatsoever.
scot37
Aberdeenshire
scot37 is male  scot37 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 01:17 PM

I've had mine for over five years with no problems whatsoever.
Same here Judd. Well over 5 years in my case.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 02:08 PM

I think my Paperwhite is about 3 years old. It hasn't been used all that much I suppose but has been OK any time I wanted to use it.

Edit: I'm sure there are bad experiences to be found regarding the newest Paperwhites but I think that's the case with almost anything that can be bought. On the other hand, there seems to be no shortage of reviews praising the product.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top