Join for free
Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 09:23 AM

Re: Do You Still Do Ironing?

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
How about you men? Haven't heard from you yet! do you do ironing or do you think like some of us females, To blazes with it!?
I iron my own, a couple of times a year.

Mainly shirt collars make it necessary. Collars seem to look all wrinkly after washing.

(and after ironing, in my case).

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->

My wife didn't like ironing whereas I did for some reason. It earned me lots of brownie points, I can tell you! (Same with cleaning a cooker, which she hated and I found oddly satisfying.)
My Dad was good at ironing, I suppose he had to be as a widower with little girls. He was excellent at all housework.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
Ironing! I don't iron, well nothing except Sindy doll clothing.
I haven't seen my iron for months. I loath ironing & tumble dry everything I can, I have two shirts in my wardrobe, bought in error,worn once then washed & put away. I haven't worn them again because they have to be ironed, no way!
I'm wiith you Tiffany. I recently bought two pairs of PJ's when it was really cold. I wore one pair and when they came out of the washing machine I couldn't believe it! They were creased to hell and would have to be ironed!

Needless to say, I binned that pair and the other is still in its cellophane wrapper in the drawer, where, no doubt they will stay there until I need the space and they will be given to the charity shop.

No way would I get my dusty iron out just for a pair of PJ's to be ironed.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:22 AM

I think the worst bit of ironing that I used to hate was when my six brothers were teenagers and it was the days of Mods. I always tried to help Mum out by doing the ironing but I hated having to iron dozens of Ben Sherman shirts of every colour, especially between the buttons, then the pleat in the back, which never seemed to lie as it was meant to after ironing, then there was the collar, which when done, had to have the two buttons fastened again. Grrr, It really used to get on my nerves. It took such a wasteful time to do those three tasks when ironing one shirt before carefully hanging it on a hangar,
And then I had to do all the buttons up before hanging it back in their wardrobes!. GROAN.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I iron too....not underwear though...I'm surprised people iron underwear and socks?

Is that you Omar?
Since I discontinued the use of fabric conditioner in my washing machine (because I discovered that's what creates the conditions for black mould) washing has, inevitably, come out more creased and wrinkled than before, despite the use of white vinegar as a conditioner substitute.

Over the last 2 years, I've had to make frequent vists to my GP and local hospital for examinations - creased cotton undewear was an embarassment, so that's when I started ironing my undies (but not socks!).

That's not me in the photo - I wouldn't be seen dead in a shirt as creased as that .....

Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
I'm wiith you Tiffany. I recently bought two pairs of PJ's when it was really cold. I wore one pair and when they came out of the washing machine I couldn't believe it! They were creased to hell and would have to be ironed!

Needless to say, I binned that pair and the other is still in its cellophane wrapper in the drawer, where, no doubt they will stay there until I need the space and they will be given to the charity shop.

No way would I get my dusty iron out just for a pair of PJ's to be ironed.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates ironing.
Years ago when I had ironing, I used to pay a friend to do it, she loved ironing & was far better at it than me too. She folded everything properly too, OH's shirts, my blouses & the kids school clothing.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 01:22 PM

Yes, I have a lot of cotton blouses that have to be ironed and Himself likes his "non working" shirts ironed.
Xandra
United Kingdom
Xandra is female  Xandra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2019, 01:55 PM

I probably iron only three or four times a year, the odd dress or cotton trousers. Everything comes off the line uncreased and ready to fold or hang.
I'm puzzled too why anyone would iron socks and knickers!
I only use fitted sheets and as they're stretched tight don't crease anyway.n
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 01:38 AM

I don't have to iron like I used to, but I do like to iron a dress shirt - collar, shoulders, sleeves, back, button front, button hole front, starched and crisp as can be.

BTW, what is is with no iron shirts that actually do get wrinkles, but aren't easy to iron? Not a fan. Grrr..
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2019, 09:26 AM

Ironing there was never a sense of job satisfaction a job well done for me, it was just a boring chore .
Now I only iron if I really have to .
Gone are all the high thread count Egyptian cotton duvet covers aghhh the steaming and pressing . In comes seersucker my favourite

Page 6 of 7 « First < 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top