Join for free
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 03:55 PM

I can not believe this!

I had blue tits nesting in a bird box in my garden,me being me,did not want to disturb them,so have stayed away from their nesting site,..

Anyway they have flown the nest,...so I thought great,I can get on with painting the decking,weeding,allowing the window cleaner to clean the window,poor bloke,wasn't aloud to disturb my birds,

Guess what,I now have blackbirds nesting,..oh well,they come first,..I also had robins nesting in my ivy last year,but no sign of them this year.

Everything is overgrown here,plenty of places to hide,I love my wildlife!.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 04:15 PM

Re: I can not believe this!

Pauline, By coincidence, l have small robins nesting in the weirdest place.
On the outside wall of my house is an overflow pipe coming from the central heating boiler.
It froze up the other year and l had no heating. My son in law, put insulating fibreglass stuff around the pipe and a black plastic bag over the top of it, to keep it dry.
I thought l could hear whistling nearby the other day but thought nothing of it. It was my friend who was here yesterday, that noticed two robins flying backwards and forwards to the pipe.
On investigation, there is green moss and twigs at the top of the pipe with a small hole in it.

Well, l do hope it is robins and not rats!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 04:17 PM

I have been waiting patiently for the robins to vacate the pyracanth so I can trim it only to be told by a neighbour they haven't nested there this year ....
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2019, 04:27 PM

Art,sounds like robins,..I have no idea what rats use for nesting material,
Last year,I had robins nesting in the thick ivy,..it has taken my fence over,..

The blackbirds have nested in a very dense creeper growing up my wall,I was only cutting the dead flowers from it yesterday,I never noticed any nest,it was only by chance,that I saw the mother fly in there,this morning,..so I investigated,sure enough,there was the nest,extremely well camouflaged,..

I am so glad I saw her,because i would have just carried on with cutting the dead flowers off!...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

28-05-2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I have been waiting patiently for the robins to vacate the pyracanth so I can trim it only to be told by a neighbour they haven't nested there this year ....

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top