Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 10:29 PM

What a Day!

Flippin Heck! Never had an evening like it. That time had come round again. Received an email from my Vet to say that the Kray Twins, Ollie and Flynn, were due this week for their 3 month dose of Bravecto Flea & Tick tablet, plus their three month worming tablets.

I was glad because we are going on holiday for a week soon to a cottage in Anglesey. The cottage has a huge garden, its own field and woodland, so wanted to make sure they would be protected. So off HWMO went to collect the tablets.

Now, I dread giving out these Bravecto tablets. They are largish and quite thick. Dogs are meant to like them so it should be easy to get them to take it, or so they say!

Ollie, fine. He gobbled his tablet down with no problem. Flynn? The moment he saw me ripping open the foil container that held his tablet, he was away upstairs to his basket.
We have tried everything to persuade him to take it, we have stuffed half of it in a slice of corned beef (a treat he adores) no luck! Eats the corned beef and the tablet is on the floor. We’ve tried hiding it in cheese, ham. Piece of sausage, doggy treat, you name it, we’ve done it. It always ends up with him being picked up and practically force-fed the tablet, which I hate.

Sorry, I digress, This evening we fed Ollie his tablet and he gobbled it down as usual.
I cut a small piece from a slice of corned beef and wrapped the tablet inside for Flynn.
As usual, Flynn had scarpered upstairs to hide, but after calling him down, Flynn came in and I gave him a small piece of corned beef with no tablet first so he wouldn’t suspect. He has a habit of taking any treat into the kitchen to eat in private. So while I was watching him leave the room, HWMO, who was sitting on the other sofa, said to me “quick! I just got him to take half the tablet with the corned beef. Give me the other half”

OMG! That’s Ollie! Not Flynn! I said, you’ve just given him one and a half dose! Poor HWMO, he was mortified at what he had done. The two are so alike it was an easy mistake to make. (I wouldn’t have) must admit though, I did panic a bit and rang the out of hours veterinary nurse who was very good and rang me back after consulting the on duty Vet. She reassured me that it wouldn’t harm Ollie but just to keep an eye on him in case of diarrhoea or vomiting and to ring back anytime. (showing them at the bottom, Ollie is the first one, Flynn the other)

So here we are, HWMO has to drive to the Vet again tomorrow and collect another tablet for Flynn (they are not cheap!) I had to throw away half an expensive tablet, I still have to go through the ordeal of trying to get Flynn to take it, and to make matters worse, HWMO is going around with a long face because he's just watched his team, Arsenal, get trounced by Chelsea in the Europa League Cup Final.

Ho Hum, I hope tomorrow is a better day.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-php -559×800- 30-08-2018 11-42-07.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	9708   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-php -680×781- 30-08-2018 11-47-47.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	9709  
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 10:41 PM

Re: What a Day!

Personally, Bravecto wouldn't be my choice Shroppy, but that is irrelevant.

I just found this, which might help reassure you, so try not to worry too much:

Q. Can dogs overdose on Bravecto?

A. In safety studies, BRAVECTO was tested in healthy dogs and puppies at up to 5 times the recommended dose at 8-week intervals for 3 treatments. Therefore, no adverse effects are expected if dogs are inadvertently treated twice with the recommended dose within 12 weeks, but please contact your veterinarian.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Personally, Bravecto wouldn't be my choice Shroppy, but that is irrelevant.

I just found this, which might help reassure you, so try not to worry too much:

Q. Can dogs overdose on Bravecto?

A. In safety studies, BRAVECTO was tested in healthy dogs and puppies at up to 5 times the recommended dose at 8-week intervals for 3 treatments. Therefore, no adverse effects are expected if dogs are inadvertently treated twice with the recommended dose within 12 weeks, but please contact your veterinarian.
Oh, thank you Mups, that is good to know. I appreciate some do not like Bravecto, but it seems to be the same with every Flea and Tick treatment brand. There are always adverse articles about all of them. I must admit to reading loads online before going ahead last year with the first treatment. They do not, thank goodness, affect either of them in any way. I sometimes also worry about what I am allowing to be put into their tiny bodies, but what can one do? they must have protection against parasites, and we do have to be responsible owners and ensure their treatments are fully up to date.

Necessary evil.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 05:38 AM

Lovely dogs, Shropshiregirl. They are very alike - but - I think Ollie's ears are slightly different from Flynn's.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

30-05-2019, 08:03 AM

Hi ST, yes, you are perfectly correct. In fact, Flynn's ears have a slight tinge of sandy colour in them whereas Ollie's are white, but what can I say, I can tell them apart immediately, but we are talking about HWMO, who was at the time he did the deed, sat on the edge of the sofa more interested in waiting for the football match to start.

Ho hum!
Thank goodness no harm done!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 08:13 AM

one has to ask, is the vet selling the tablet that makes him/her the most profit. What about saying that is too expensive I want an alternative cheaper product instead
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Flippin Heck! Never had an evening like it. That time had come round again. Received an email from my Vet to say that the Kray Twins, Ollie and Flynn, were due this week for their 3 month dose of Bravecto Flea & Tick tablet, plus their three month worming tablets.

I was glad because we are going on holiday for a week soon to a cottage in Anglesey. The cottage has a huge garden, its own field and woodland, so wanted to make sure they would be protected. So off HWMO went to collect the tablets.

Now, I dread giving out these Bravecto tablets. They are largish and quite thick. Dogs are meant to like them so it should be easy to get them to take it, or so they say!

Ollie, fine. He gobbled his tablet down with no problem. Flynn? The moment he saw me ripping open the foil container that held his tablet, he was away upstairs to his basket.
We have tried everything to persuade him to take it, we have stuffed half of it in a slice of corned beef (a treat he adores) no luck! Eats the corned beef and the tablet is on the floor. We’ve tried hiding it in cheese, ham. Piece of sausage, doggy treat, you name it, we’ve done it. It always ends up with him being picked up and practically force-fed the tablet, which I hate.

Sorry, I digress, This evening we fed Ollie his tablet and he gobbled it down as usual.
I cut a small piece from a slice of corned beef and wrapped the tablet inside for Flynn.
As usual, Flynn had scarpered upstairs to hide, but after calling him down, Flynn came in and I gave him a small piece of corned beef with no tablet first so he wouldn’t suspect. He has a habit of taking any treat into the kitchen to eat in private. So while I was watching him leave the room, HWMO, who was sitting on the other sofa, said to me “quick! I just got him to take half the tablet with the corned beef. Give me the other half”

OMG! That’s Ollie! Not Flynn! I said, you’ve just given him one and a half dose! Poor HWMO, he was mortified at what he had done. The two are so alike it was an easy mistake to make. (I wouldn’t have) must admit though, I did panic a bit and rang the out of hours veterinary nurse who was very good and rang me back after consulting the on duty Vet. She reassured me that it wouldn’t harm Ollie but just to keep an eye on him in case of diarrhoea or vomiting and to ring back anytime. (showing them at the bottom, Ollie is the first one, Flynn the other)

So here we are, HWMO has to drive to the Vet again tomorrow and collect another tablet for Flynn (they are not cheap!) I had to throw away half an expensive tablet, I still have to go through the ordeal of trying to get Flynn to take it, and to make matters worse, HWMO is going around with a long face because he's just watched his team, Arsenal, get trounced by Chelsea in the Europa League Cup Final.

Ho Hum, I hope tomorrow is a better day.
We use Stronghold for fleas and ticks. It's put on the back of the neck. No problems. Normally once a month after grooming. He does get tablets for a possible thyroid issue but he just chomps those down.

You have beautiful little dogs. We have a 40 kg gentle monster.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 02:02 PM

I understand what a nightmare it can be shrops, it is always a palava treating my cats too. The one on the neck has no effect because their fur is so thick, it is difficult to get it on the skin, so we use a tablet every month or so then an injection once a year which does the job.

Cats know what's going on from the start so I have had to try all sorts of tricks to get them to eat the tablets. What I do now is to crush them up into a powder, then add a small amount to a chunk of chicken and repeat it each week, so that the dose is spread.

They still spit it out sometimes though.

Glad the Twin are OK. Are they Cockerpoos or Cavapoos?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 02:18 PM

Talking of giving a cat a pill, or a dog a pill, this might amuse you...

HOW TO GIVE A CAT A PILL

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa.
Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand.
Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe.
Call spouse in from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat.
Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth.
Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap.
Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains.
Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit.
Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill.
Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab.
Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road.
Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat.
Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13) Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed.
Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO GIVE A DOG A PILL:

1) Wrap it in bacon
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-05-2019, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Talking of giving a cat a pill, or a dog a pill, this might amuse you...

HOW TO GIVE A CAT A PILL

1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa.
Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand.
Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe.
Call spouse in from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat.
Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth.
Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap.
Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains.
Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit.
Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill.
Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab.
Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road.
Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat.
Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13) Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed.
Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO GIVE A DOG A PILL:

1) Wrap it in bacon
Ruthio - you rascal - you've been spying on me!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top