Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 02:41 PM

Re: Spiders v Mosquito's

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They were talking about this on the news yesterday and saying that this may seem a solution but could also cause a lot of problems that they have not thought of. There is a potential threat to bees for example. I think it's going to be another typical example of man trying to control nature and getting stung. Instead of meddling with nature we should be researching better ways to prevent and cure malaria because IMO this idea is nuts. I don't know what role mosquitos play in our fragile ecology but I am sure they have one. We are probably the only living creature on this planet that does not contribute to its ecology.
I think swarms of mossies support legions of bats Annie!
Surely the reason for replacing DDT by fungus is to save
driving bees and other insects to extinction! Otherwise
What is the point?there was even talk awhile back of
replacing bees with millions of mini robotic bees?
Where do these clever people go to school ?

Regatds Donkeyman!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 02:51 PM

Living on a river, mosquitos are ever coming into the house. I found that the most effective and chemica-free solution to the problem was to let summer spiders live in the upper corners of the house. It's a perfect symbiotic relationship. When the season is over and the spiders leave, I just sweep away the webs.

Happy spiders, happy me!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Living on a river, mosquitos are ever coming into the house. I found that the most effective and chemica-free solution to the problem was to let summer spiders live in the upper corners of the house. It's a perfect symbiotic relationship. When the season is over and the spiders leave, I just sweep away the webs.

Happy spiders, happy me!
Sounds good to me, Surfermom, but then - I like spiders!

Am i the only person on the planet that has never seen a Mosquito - not even when I was in India?
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 03:07 PM

Wow, ST, you've never seen a mosquito? Most likely you would hear and feel one before you saw it.

In Alaska they swarm like clouds. The males don't bite, but the females - watch out! Strangely enough, you adjust to having them around. I will say though that I slept under netting and kept the campfires smoky to keep them at bay.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 03:09 PM

Wow, ST, you've never seen a mosquito? Most likely you would hear and feel one before you saw it.

Never felt one, never heard one - didn't know they could talk!!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

01-06-2019, 03:11 PM

I also armed all the kids with these battery operated mosquito rackets that electrocute the little insects. I'm more about trying to avoid them than kill them, so I never carried one.

image uploader
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

01-06-2019, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Never felt one, never heard one - didn't know they could talk!!
They buzz like everything - gossip, perhaps?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

01-06-2019, 03:14 PM

This is the only Mosquito I have ever seen:-

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-06-2019, 03:35 PM

Happy spiders, happy me!
Did'nt you have bats SM as well, 1 bat apparently can eat
2000 mosquitoes in one night! We used to see them come
out of the roof in the evening and start their hunting session
till about midnight! they were hunting midges not mossies
as we did'nt have a problem with them.
Also, one year, instead of watching TV, we sat in front of
our lounge window and watched a golden orb spider remake
its web in the same place for about 2 weeks before sadly
a late retiring sunbird managed to end its exsistence!

Best Regards Donkeyman!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom

01-06-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
This is the only Mosquito I have ever seen:-

Is that true ST?

Regards Donkeyman!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top