Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:31 AM

Beginner Acrylic Paints.

I do not have any talent but I would like to experiment with acrylic paints and trying some abstract art. I have been looking at pouring, string and palette knife.
I realise that there are both heavy and light paints for different applications.

This is purely an experiment at the moment so would welcome any advice on paints and canvas paper.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 09:36 AM

Re: Beginner Acrylic Paints.

Just get a beginners pack .
If you want to retard drying ( they dry quickly ) use an acrylics medium .
However you have a bit of kitchen towel of rag handy you can wipe off any mistake .

The more you pay the better quality paint you get .

I am away from home and didn't bring any paints with me . I haven't painted for some years anyway so they are probaby all dried up.

So I bought a cheap set from the local Chinese shop.

I painted this yesterday ( it's not finished yet ). With no medium just water .

As you see the blue is quite thin I may go over it again .

I painted this painting ( below ) some years ago ( unfinished again)
I used a medium which made the paint dry slower so it was a bit like oil paint - but only a bit it still drys quickly and is not as messy .

https://www.over50sforum.com/picture...pictureid=6695

Acrylic paints are great for abstract paintings .
I am sure you will find you do have talent and acrylics are such fun a bit like poster paints !
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:23 AM

The beauty of acrylics is you can paint on virtually any type of paper .. including, if you're pushed, even cheap A4 printer paper.It actually makes a thin plastic veneer on it.
Artists sketchbooks are perfect if you don't fancy canvas at first.

They blend well, dry quick and you can overpaint any errors.
Great fun in fact.
For application use anything you fancy. Brush. Knife etc.
Create effects with a comb, dabbing with bubble wrap.

The nice thing is there are no rules with acrylics.

This one was done with an old shaving brush .. (great for a feathered effect)

This one, the background was dabbed on with an old scourer sponge to give texture and I drew over it with black biro.
That's the great thing ...acrylics go with almost anything. Pastels or inks.

Most of my piccies are just a background and I go over it with black biro to pick out the images I can see in the initial splodge of colour. They tend to grow and take on an abstract life of their own

I think you'll find it great fun.
Let us know how you get on .... and don't be afraid to be bold with acrylics.
basser
Chatterbox
ENGLAND
basser is male  basser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Taking great interest in this thread as i'm just about to start having a go with acrylics myself.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 10:39 AM

I love them and wouldn't use anything else now.
Oils took too long to dry and smelt, and can be pricey.
Watercolours just didn't seem bold enough.

I've never done it but you can paint on fabric as long as you mix it with the right additional medium.
Or on glass.
It takes years to fade or discolour but if that is a concern you can varnish to seal your work.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

04-06-2019, 10:52 AM

A Tip
Though I've never done it.

Acrylics are a byproduct of the home decorating emulsion paint industry ........ if painting a large canvas a neutral background colour, to save on using acrylic you can use those little tester paint pots of emulsion that B&Q sell.
Trouble is, whilst they were once only about 20p to buy I suspect they're pricey now.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 11:45 AM

Looking for cheap Acrylics checkout Crawford & Black .

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I normally order around 4 packs a time and its still only £1.99 delivery charge.

Just started painting again myself after a few years of not doing anything.
I make garden ornaments and paint them, butterfly's ladybirds owls and various others.
I cannot paint anymore on canvas because of my shaky hand but with garden art I can get away with the slight mishap or two.
I also combine Hammerite paints on the ornaments along side Acrylic Hammerite doesn't require varnishing like Acrylic paint.

Mondays Child.. I do not have any talent but I would like to experiment with acrylic paints and trying some abstract art
Personally mate I would not look to deep into it,just do it enjoy it.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

04-06-2019, 12:25 PM

That's what I do ... just splash two colours on. Splodge and dab.
Then see what I can see hidden in it and get my biro out.

I've never thought of painting garden ornaments. It sounds fun.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 12:25 PM

I showed this to my wife. She paints with acrylics. A tip from Annie. Try using some acrylic interior house paint with your tube stuff. You can get all sorts of colours. They are easy to use..brush, palette knife..fingers etc, and they mix well..both water based. Also she said try mixing some paint with Plaster of Paris to thicken it up. You can trowel it on as thick as you like and get some good effects.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2019, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
That's what I do ... just splash two colours on. Splodge and dab.
Then see what I can see hidden in it and get my biro out.

I've never thought of painting garden ornaments. It sounds fun.
You have the right idea Morticia enjoyment first. Anyways who wants to be a great artist,to be one of them you have to be dead and some other sod get's all the millions for your artwork.

Back to garden art I find the best way of making ornaments is to buy cake or jelly moulds of small animals and such and then pour in the plaster of paris then I put a average (Crown) undercoat on oil based,then paint with arcrylic after a day or so I then put a couple of coats of cheap varnish over them which I buy from Poundland £1 a small tin.
They will last years in the garden or on the back fence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top