Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-06-2019, 04:19 PM

Re: TV News: What channel do you watch?

I vary my news intake ' BBC not so much --like to see different weather forecasts in the eve to see how wrong some can be , lol ,
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 03:09 PM

For Drama and old Films, my favourite is 'Talking Pictures'
Very good old films with Actors who could act and not mumble.
Sadly many are now gone
How lovely to see Films without swearing and everyone smartly dressed.
Actors like Bill Owen 'Compo' in a smart Suit and Tie playing Businessmen, or' Harry H Corbett 'Steptoe & Son' playing a well-dressed Police Inspector!

In that era '50's, everyone smoked cigarettes, young and old Male and Female
Even Police handed them out to criminals who they were interviewing.

Back to 'The Good Old Days

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Sadly many are now gone
Actors like Bill Owen 'Compo' in a smart Suit and Tie playing Businessmen, or' Harry H Corbett 'Steptoe & Son' playing a well-dressed Police Inspector!

Yes. I watch more Talking Pictures programmes/films than any on BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4.

You're perfectly correct that the old black and white films are far better quality than most of what we have today in many respects. Although today's producers have the benefit of far more advanced technology, the old films are much easier to watch and especially to hear. What I like particularly is the absence of the loud 'music' and sound effects we have now which, in fact, detract from the enjoyment and understanding of what we are watching.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Azure ->
Sadly many are now gone

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes. I watch more Talking Pictures programmes/films than any on BBC1, BBC2 and BBC4.

You're perfectly correct that the old black and white films are far better quality than most of what we have today in many respects. Although today's producers have the benefit of far more advanced technology, the old films are much easier to watch and especially to hear. What I like particularly is the absence of the loud 'music' and sound effects we have now which, in fact, detract from the enjoyment and understanding of what we are watching.
You're both absolutely right.

There's something about a good quality film in black and white, isn't there?

Just ordinary folk, doing ordinary things. Fantastic.
When they remake films in colour, it's never the same.

It's funny, but when watching b/w films, you never seem to notice that they are b/w, do you?

Mind you, watching all that smoking makes me wheezy!

Plus I cringe when people throw back the scotch then get behind the wheel of car, without a seatbelt either!
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-06-2019, 05:12 PM

I usually watch the news in the mornings, either whilst getting ready or whilst eating breakfast so could be on my I-pad or the tv.
ITV’s GMB, Sky News and less often BBC 1 are my choices for getting myself updated with what’s happening in the world.
Tasharose
New Member!
Mississauga Canada
Tasharose is female 

27-06-2019, 02:31 AM

I watch CP24 always up to date
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by CoffeeCake ->
I usually watch the news in the mornings, either whilst getting ready or whilst eating breakfast so could be on my I-pad or the tv.
ITV’s GMB, Sky News and less often BBC 1 are my choices for getting myself updated with what’s happening in the world.
The same as my viewing, I do this to get a broader view of what is going on in the world. Although, just lately, what with Brexit and so much news of violence somewhere or other, particularly the stabbings of young people, not forgetting of course, Trump and his regular boring appearances on our news I am watching news programmes less and less. It's not unknown these days for me to resort to simply turning the television off!

How about a 'Good News' channel just for a change? Now that really would be welcome!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 07:22 AM

I usually watch the BBC for 5 minutes in the morning then turn over to ITV or SKY News.

The BBC has hardly any actual news on it .
The ridiculous attempts by Dan and Louise to engage in 'bantz' and appear cosy and lovely is puke inducing.
Naga is like the school nerd that nobody liked or listened to and who just doesn't 'Get It !'
There is far too much weather and too much of croaky Carole Kirkwood and the recent 'sexing up' of poor 5o something Carole in lower cut, tighter dresses is a cynical attempt to keep older male viewers interested.
The annoying little sports presenter, Mike Bushell, I cannot watch. His desperate attempts to sound interesting and relevant whilst reporting on sports no-one plays or are interested in are cringeworthy.
The obsession the BBC has with creating 'personalities', no doubt grooming for future Strictly appearances, detracts from the news content of the morning news.

The Piers-Suzanna relationship on ITV is far more interesting.
She is fiercely intelligent, switched on and has a well developed personality............she was a massive loss for the BBC and Piers is brilliantly outspoken, controversial and famously takes NO prisoners .
ITV has slightly more news and more up to date news than the BBC.
The adverts are an annoyance.

SKY is best for news and the presenters are no-nonsense professionals .
Again, the adverts spoil it.
Up to date news and analysis.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
I usually watch the BBC for 5 minutes in the morning then turn over to ITV or SKY News.

The BBC has hardly any actual news on it .
The ridiculous attempts by Dan and Louise to engage in 'bantz' and appear cosy and lovely is puke inducing.
Naga is like the school nerd that nobody liked or listened to and who just doesn't 'Get It !'
There is far too much weather and too much of croaky Carole Kirkwood and the recent 'sexing up' of poor 5o something Carole in lower cut, tighter dresses is a cynical attempt to keep older male viewers interested.
The annoying little sports presenter, Mike Bushell, I cannot watch. His desperate attempts to sound interesting and relevant whilst reporting on sports no-one plays or are interested in are cringeworthy.
The obsession the BBC has with creating 'personalities', no doubt grooming for future Strictly appearances, detracts from the news content of the morning news.

The Piers-Suzanna relationship on ITV is far more interesting.
She is fiercely intelligent, switched on and has a well developed personality............she was a massive loss for the BBC and Piers is brilliantly outspoken, controversial and famously takes NO prisoners .
ITV has slightly more news and more up to date news than the BBC.
The adverts are an annoyance.
I totally disagree with all of that!
My views are the polar opposite!

Diff'rent strokes, I suppose!
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2019, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
I totally disagree with all of that!
My views are the polar opposite!

Diff'rent strokes, I suppose!

Suckered by the Beeb.............

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top