Join for free
Page 9 of 17 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 10:47 AM

Re: Scotland, England and the EU

I like Scotland, have always liked Scots and have some family links there. I seem to recall staying in the EU was a big selling point in the referendum. The Scots are very resourceful. Centuries ago they were going out and trading in all four corners of the globe. Of course the English were always imposing rule and ruining or restricting Scotland's economy and it's about to happen again...
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I like Scotland, have always liked Scots and have some family links there. I seem to recall staying in the EU was a big selling point in the referendum. The Scots are very resourceful. Centuries ago they were going out and trading in all four corners of the globe. Of course the English were always imposing rule and ruining or restricting Scotland's economy and it's about to happen again...
I'm not so sure who the "English" are any more.

I suspect that a typical English family, probably, has at least one strong ancestor from Scotland, Wales or Ireland.

By way of example, I was born in England. My Mother was Scottish, my Father was English.
My Mother in Law was English, whilst my Father in Law was Irish.

When I look around my neighbours, I find very similar mixes.

Don't know why we find each other to be all that different!

Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I'm not so sure who the "English" are any more.

I suspect that a typical English family, probably, has at least one strong ancestor from Scotland, Wales or Ireland.

By way of example, I was born in England. My Mother was Scottish, my Father was English.
My Mother in Law was English, whilst my Father in Law was Irish.

When I look around my neighbours, I find very similar mixes.

Don't know why we find each other to be all that different!

Most of us would agree with you, it is only the narrow minded miserable old bergers that don't.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 12:56 PM

I personally have no beef whatsoever with the English People. I just want to be out from under Westminster's thumb. England knows what's best for England, and Scotland knows what's best for Scotland, likewise with Wales and Ireland.
What I don't understand however is why some on here make such a song and dance about it, and call us stupid, and unable to cope!!!!!! WTH? How dare they, what's it to do with them anyway if Scotland becomes separate and looks after her own interests, it's no skin off their noses, it takes nothing away from them, so why are they jumping up and down about it?
John leave
Hertfordshire
John leave is male  John leave has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 01:49 PM

i for one don`t want to see a border between any of the countries that make up Britain, giving more powers to them would be a better option. we are a small island don`t make us smaller, leaving the EU is a different matter as it is the only way wee can get our powers back, as the EU is trying to run us from Brussels.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 01:57 PM

There's always been a border between Scotland & England..I mean it says on a large notice at the BORDER....'WELCOME TO SCOTLAND' ...as for making the British Isles smaller,how can that happen if We become independent?...I mean You just can't transport Scotland elsewhere can You. ...We are part of the British Isles and always will be.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by John leave ->
leaving the EU is a different matter as it is the only way wee can get our powers back, as the EU is trying to run us from Brussels.
If you change the letters EU to Westminster, you have how a lot of Scotland feels in a nutshell. We don't like being run from Westminster. Leaving both is the way ahead for Scotland.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 02:24 PM

I can appreciate how the Scots feel ..
Scotland cutting the tie with England ( and other cohorts ) isn't too dissimilar to Britain choosing to leave the EU.

No one likes to feel restricted by or beholden to a master.

But .. when I read the Remainer's gloomy picture of how Britain can't survive economically without the EU .. I wonder what makes Scotland think they can be truly independent?

Surely they'll end up applying for EU membership in the hope they'll become a member state who wangles more out of the EU than they contribute, (always assuming they can meet the criteria for membership).

Has a familiar ring doesn't it and I can't see their gain .. they'd become a minor non-entity whereas at least they have more powerful representation down in Parliament and strong ties, historically , with the English...
Not always nice ones, granted ... Mary, Queen of Scot's head is a case in point and lying around somewhere.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 02:33 PM

Who knows what the future holds after Brexit is done and dusted,and gawd knows when that will be,many years is My opinion..Methinks I'll be pushing up the daisies before the chance of another indie' ref' comes around again,especially with the shenanigans going on at Holyrood atm....but I aint gonna lose any sleep over any of it...My wee heart was broken 4 Yrs ago and I don't intend THAT happening again
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2018, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Centuries ago .. the Scots nearly always allied themselves naturally with the French. They've never really been able to stand on their own two feet, so to speak... mainly to avert invasion by the English.
Not especially rich or prosperous they were also in a good strategic place or bad strategic place depending on your point of view in been the unguarded backdoor to England.
Add to the mix the Catholic Protestant wars.

I could be wrong but have it in my mind from my old school days that Mary Queen of Scots hocked the Scottish nation to the hilt of their claymores and saddled them with crippling debt as part of her marriage contract to the Dauphin of France ( she was by blood related to the powerful catholic De Guise family).
Her half-brother, the Earl of Moray, a Protestant, needless to say was not a happy chappy.

So even then ... to retain a veneer of independence they ended up a vassal of France.
You could say .. when does your ally (against the English) become an occupying force?

It could mean the Scots might actually be happier as a part of the EU than their current set up... even though they have benefited and not lost from the association.

Page 9 of 17 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top