Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 05:43 PM

Best time for a holiday?

OH and me were having a debate about the best time to go for a break. We generally go to Germany in Nov/Dec for the Xmas markets, but wondered if it was time for a change or tack.

So, early year to recharge the old batteries after the dark days of winter, or late autumn when all the work in the garden is finished, but before all the madness of preparing for Christmas begins ?

When to you recon is the best time for a relaxing break?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 05:46 PM

Re: Best time for a holiday?

Gosh depends where you want to go and what weather etc you like, we like September in Scotland or June in England, for walks and sight seeing. Also coincides with children being at school and my husband being able to get time off without begging threatening to leave or any shouting
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 06:07 PM

As we only holiday in Europe we take our holidays in the summer months when it's more likely to be good weather.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 06:11 PM

Hi George it depends where you are going but for me spring is best in any county (except those that don't really have one) when everything is green and fresh.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 07:05 PM

As Julie said, for me it depends on what I want to do. But I must admit that I tend to try to go somewhere in January to break up the bleak winter. I used to go early November just after the clocks go back as I always needed a boost then, but changed to January a couple of years ago. Obviously weather is a consideration if you are doing outdoors things though.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 07:27 PM

May is a good month for weather and longer days,same for September weather wise,a beautiful month for colour.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 11:29 PM

Early December, somewhere like Tenerife where its still warm and not too crowded. Some good bargains to be had.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2013, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
As we only holiday in Europe we take our holidays in the summer months when it's more likely to be good weather.
I have only one rule - any time the schools are NOT on holiday. In winter I go north, in summer south or to the northern hemisphere tropics.

The great thing about the tropics is that you only have to avoid the wet season because its either hot or hot and wet.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 11:58 AM

We took early retirement hoping to do a lot more touring in the motorhome. As it happened, we just found ourselves busier than ever - mainly restoring the house and gardening. We do get away for a few days now and then - but not during school hols.

For breaks, we prefer cities with nice architecture, food, museums, shops etc.. and possibly a bit of train travel. We're definitely NOT the sort to lie on a sunny beach, drink cheap booze and complain about the local food. Dianne would like to see Portugal - especially Porto to visit the port producers, although I'm thinking more about Lisbon. Also fancy Austria - Vienna, Salzburg, Graz etc..

Wherever we go, it still comes down to when to take a well earned break - when the bulk of the work is done and the weather gets too bad to work outside, or in the New year before the work begins?
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-12-2013, 12:07 PM

I think it boils down to when you feel the most need for a change/boost.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top