Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 12:32 PM

Re: Have you had a scarey moment flying?

Years ago when flying back from Australia with Singapore Airlines we hit the most terrible turbulence and the plane was bouncing around all over the place. We were told to fasten our seatbelts quickly. Trouble was, my hubby was in the toilet at the time so he had to make a quick exit.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-08-2014, 02:13 PM

Re: Have you had a scarey moment flying?

I am not sure if I have told this before but when I flew to Australia in 1966 it was in a QANTAS Boeing707 a tiny plane which fits under a 747s wing. The flight took 48 hours because the plane had to stop every five minutes for fuel.

At the third stop (in Rome) we were preparing for take off when the plane stopped on the tarmac, out came a bloke with a ladder which he put against an engine, climbed up, took a cover off, bashed something inside with a spanner, gave a thumbs up to the pilot, replaced the cover and strolled off with his ladder. The engines were reved a couple of times and we then moved onto the runway and took off. True story.

The same journey landed in the new country of Bangladesh where the plane drove round shell holes to get to the refuelling area. The passengers had to stay on board because ther terminal building had been rendered unuseable by the war.

Taking off from Singapore the plane had to do a vrry steep climb and bank sharply at the same time so it would not enter Indonesian airspace because of the Indonesian emergency. The effect was most odd because 'down' was not between your feet but over to one side, a sensation I have not felt since.

That was my first commercial flight, no wonder most migrants went by boat in those days.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top