Join for free
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 06:05 PM

Limassol, Cyprus

This year, because we're still waiting for a date when my wife goes in for her hip operation, we're not having a holiday.
Yes, I realise some may not be able to afford one anyway and I'm sorry about that but we try to do so if we can.

After a lot of thought, as it's my turn to decide, I've decided I want to go back to Cyprus - and stay in Limassol.

Today we've spent most of a rainy, cold day looking at Cyprus with Limassol the first priority and, so far, we like the look of it.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any views - good or bad - about Limassol in particular.

Something about going back to Cyprus appeals to me and I don't know why - maybe it's because I was born on a Mediterranean island - gawd knows!!

Thanks in eagerly-awaited anticipation, hopefully! stevmk2
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 06:14 PM

Re: Limassol, Cyprus

I was in Cyprus with the forces in the sixties based at Larnaca and Episkopi the RAF base. On a Saturday night we had some wild times in Limassol as it was a bit like a wild west town then with all of the British and UN troops out on the razzle, but I would hope it's rather more civilised now. Cyprus is a beautiful country though and I often wondered why I never made it back there..
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-04-2014, 09:47 PM

Limassol is short on memorable sights, but a visit to the castle is worthwhile. West of Limassol are the ruins of Kourion. Troodos Mountains has the Kykkos Monastery, Makarios Tomb.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2014, 01:15 PM

We have been there Steve.
A lovely hotel, right on the beach.
The people were very friendly and we used to stroll through the town in the evenings, there are plenty of restaurants but it seemed short on night life but it suited us.
We hired a jeep and went into the mountains, beautiful scenery.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-04-2014, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Limassol is short on memorable sights, but a visit to the castle is worthwhile. West of Limassol are the ruins of Kourion. Troodos Mountains has the Kykkos Monastery, Makarios Tomb.
We've been looking around online already at Limassol itself and also easily-accessible places by local transport and Paphos is only an hour away on a bus and that has a quite a lot more to see Cinderella.

We went to Protarus, (Paralimni), in 2012 and visited Nicosia, Famagusta, Salamis and Kyrenia on official tours from there and other places of interest on local buses.

There's quite a lot more to see if you go by the buses even if it's just for the views and Cyprus Buses have all sorts of mini-tour tickets you can go on with them at really good rates - Limassol to Paphos @ 7 Euros per person is very good example of that value and that takes you right near to the Tomb of the Kings AND the Mosaics.

We didn't go to Troodos last time and Kourian looks interesting too but there are other places of interest, even in Limassol itself.

I like the people though - they're islanders. stevmk2
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 08:57 AM

Cypriots are friendly, enjoy your holiday just go easy on the Ouzo.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2014, 11:29 AM

I loved Limassol and Paphos but steered clear of the dreadful "disco zone" of Aiya Napa.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

28-04-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I loved Limassol and Paphos but steered clear of the dreadful "disco zone" of Aiya Napa.
Visited Ayia Napa on the bus from Protarus one day Mick - didn't like it much but we did find an amazing Museum there and spent most of our time in there!

Protarus was a little bit like Ayia Napa but to us it seemed much more friendly and there were all age ranges there too, not just head-banging clubbers.

We went self-catering there at Brilliant Apartments, which is actually an aparthotel.

Perfect location for us,so I'd recommend it.

As for Limassol, we went ahead and booked it for next September 2015 but there's a problem - we either pay the insurance now and then have to pay it again in 12 months time or take a chance that nothing will come up because, believe it or not, if we had to cancel the holiday now we'd get none of our deposit back at all!

They cancelled the insurance for us because it runs out before we actually go in September 2015 then told us we're not covered if we pull-out!

There doesn't seem anything else we can do about this because I've checked and all travel insurance is 12 months so we'd have to pay twice yet Thomson were happy to book the holiday.

It seems a rather ridiculous state of affairs but we rang the insurer AXA - my wife did - and they said that although our booking says Single Trip insurance it's STILL only for 12 months.

Thomson said that they are looking into it with their management because this is bloody unfair as far as I'm concerned.

We really can't afford to cough up two lots for travel insurance, well over £200 each time, especially as they increase the premiums for the over-65s and I'm asthmatic so we get another extra £50 charge. stevmk2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top