Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 12:45 PM

Re: Anyone been to Nova Scotia? (Canada)

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Plenty of other places we can dream about .....
Yes Patsy, shame they are getting fewer and fewer 'tho
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2014, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Has anyone been to Nova Scotia in Canada? I am asking because Savills (The large London based estate agent) are selling fantastic looking properties at a place called Forest Lakes for £160K, in most of England that would barely get you a two up two down terrace house

On Google maps there is a lovely shot of the nearby state highway 101, barely one car in either direction and a sign saying Kms. 275 wow, would that be to the nearest town
Almost in any rural area in Ontario, homes are FAR cheaper than the city with roads that aren't travelled much. Taxes & electricity may be higher but car & house insurance is cheaper.
So....its not just Nova Scotia.

We bought this house in late 2005 for $162,000 & have an acre, plus 4 bedrooms, finished recroom, etc. It was built in 1994, 200 Amp Service. If this place was in around Toronto it would've been absolutely out of our reach.

I'm only saying this because again almost all rural areas will always be cheaper. Selling is another thing tho. Even though our house in TO was 75 years old, needed $15,000 worth structural repair, etc etc it sold in 1 week! If we sold this place here, it could easily be on the market for a year. Everything balances.

Sorry about rambling on, lol.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 12:24 PM

Hi AC somehow I thought you might pop up here before too long

Completely understand what you are saying, the difference between Canada and England is that where you are it really is 'rural' whereas in England it's almost impossible to be more than ten miles from somewhere.

The fact is there are just too many people in England now. the fighting for land has IMO reached unacceptable levels and it will not be too long before there is a law which says you are not allowed to have a plot bigger than 50 x 50 (Metres, yards, inches, whatever )

Maybe you do pay a tad more for electricity etc. but enjoy it, you are so lucky.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 12:42 PM

Well come on over here Losos & bring your 2 dogs! Yes I guess you're right. Many times when I see pictures of Britain I see a lot of countryside so I just assumed it was the same but I know the physical size of England is small in comparison.

But as I said, come over. There are so many places for sale right now in our agricultural community. If you can stand humidity in the summer & snow in winter, you're set.
Houses have central heating, natural gas, oil or propane so you won't even notice the cold. Get central air conditioning for the summer. Sometimes winters in Ontario are virtually snowless, other years more snow, so what?

You'll need a car though. Health care is free. The colours in Autumn are gorgeous. People are always making jokes about Canada & winters, pleeeze. Ontario, especially southern Ontario is no worse than the northern States.

Anyway, hope you find what you want losos!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 09:33 PM

Has anyone come back from Nova Scotia?.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

24-05-2014, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Well come on over here Losos & bring your 2 dogs!
AC thanks for the invite, how I wish someone had made me the same offer 40 years ago, I would have jumped on the first plane

Those two dogs are Newfoundlands who (In case you don't know) were bred by the fishermen of that province especially for helping to bring in the nets (They are wonderful swimmers and very strong), they were also used for forrestry work and I have a picture of six dogs pulling a huge tree through the forrests in 1880 somewhere in Alberta I think.

Sadly Baruska (The one on the left) died last year, I should do a new picture but to tell the truth I can't remember how I did that one. Anyway, she deserves to be seen and remembered, so maybe it should stay.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk

24-05-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Why would anyone want to come back from Nova Scotia
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

24-05-2014, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Only blacks would make a hasty retreat unfortunately.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 02:20 PM

I've been to Newfoundland as I have a lot of family there. Its further north than Nova Scotia and very cold in winter but the summers are similar to ours in the UK. I think property prices must be quite low as most folk seem to have a 'cabin' as a holiday home.

Its a very beautiful island, somewhere I could quite easily settle.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top