Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 12:12 PM

Re: Sleep Deprivation

Originally Posted by carol ->
I didn't think you'd need the light on to use the laptop Meg.
I play scrabble on my huddle in the dark!
How do you see the keys Carol I have trouble seeing them in the daylight with this keyboard , I wish it lit up.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 12:24 PM

I think sleep deprivation is awful, leaves you feeling wretched.

It's true that it's best not to struggle to sleep, you just get more frustrated as the hours go by.

It's a good idea to take the focus off whatever thoughts are uppermost in your mind. If your brain is very 'busy' with thoughts it can't turn off to go to sleep.

So you can try giving it a boring and repetitive task, like making a long list of things which start with a certain letter etc, a list of jobs you need to do etc.
Another one is 'giving up' on sleep but instead deciding to rest with you eyes closed and no pressure to sleep, that can be enough to take the anxiety away.

I also find the nigh time kalms helpful, and the other thing to remember is that you do catch up eventually if if you have a few bad nights as the brain will make sure you get a good sleep at some stage, apart from when people are parents of new babies, that can be torture!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 12:24 PM

I'm a very bad sleeper most nights, I don't feel stressed or worry about things though, I do think my sleepless nights are due to my tinnitus in both ears.

I bought a sleep pillow a few years ago and listen to soft music throughout the night to block out the buzzing and whistling going on in my ears. It does help me drift off to sleep some nights but I still wake up an hour or two later.

Nom, just a thought, a sleep pillow may help you as you could play a CD of bird songs and calls which I feel sure would help you to relax.

Anyone who is interested in the sleep pillow ... they are on offer on Amazon at the moment
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 01:13 PM

I have not had a through night in years, I average 3 to 4 hours a night and never in one go, I wake up 1 to 1 and a half hours all through the night.
My hubby is the same.
My lovely brother loves to tell me how he only had 8 hours last night
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Marj ->
I have not had a through night in years, I average 3 to 4 hours a night and never in one go, I wake up 1 to 1 and a half hours all through the night.
My hubby is the same.
My lovely brother loves to tell me how he only had 8 hours last night
Feel for you Marj - you'd be in for a shock if you 'did' sleep - at least you are not alone, there are plenty of us here .....
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 04:46 PM

reading the posts makes me feel better and not alone in this ordeal'
it is stress related iam sure 'i go for weeks without sleep 'waking god knows what hrs..at the moment i'am very stressed with the house and all'then my cat isn't well that scares me rigid ...and so it goes on ---waking all hrs is awful at 3 most nites..then when i get to the zombie mode i go into a deep sleep after a few weeks -it a pattern with me ..what i give to go right thro the nite zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 05:03 PM

I love it when catch up time comes - I could sleep standing up then ....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 05:20 PM

I tend to go with the flow: if I'm 'hyper' and I have a lot of work then I work without sleep for however long it takes. These days I find myself quite tired more often than not. I think this is more noticeable to me after 6 months of a vastly reduced exercise regime - as in none at all! Saying that though I will be jogging 2x today. Exercise, fresh air, no stimulants and you have a good chance of a good night's kip I reckon.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2015, 05:37 PM

I have to nap in the afternoons or I can't sleep at night! Odd isn't it? I find counting backwards from 200 works quite well as a sleep inducer, singing a song in my mind, " I can sing a rainbow " I used to sing my kids to sleep with works well, if all else fails I do relaxation techniques like relaxing muscles from feet upwards and breathing slowly saying "relax" as you breathe out. By the time I've done all that, it's time to get up!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

13-05-2015, 05:44 PM

I do the song too, a lullaby, usually works unless pain is the reason, then I have to get up ......

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top