Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 04:27 PM

who do you buy Christmas gifts for

Years ago I stopped buying for friends , it was just so expensive and frustrating wondering what to buy and spend , so I told each one . I do a special evening and cook a hearty meal and say Thankyou to them for being in my life . I ask them not to bring gifts , I don't need them as I've everything I need in life . Now I only buy for my granchildren and son daughter and son in law .

Years ago I used to buy a beautiful large box of dark and white chocolates from Marks & Spencer for a distant family member , cost about £15 . They were real quality and to me that is a lot of money , non the less I gave the chocolates to this family . I never got a Thankyou and one Christmas I asked if they enjoyed their delicious chocolates and was told they didn't like the white ones !

Needless to say I never bought for them again

Who do you buy Christmas gifts for ?
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 04:36 PM

Re: who do you buy Christmas gifts for

Family and a couple of friends....but only small items that I know they will love
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 05:30 PM

Close friends, including one in USA, one in Canada and one in Japan. Postage can cost more than the gift but I know how much they appreciate receiving something they can't get in their own countries. My son and daughter in law, I don't buy anything for them for Christmas or their birthdays, we pay for their flights to come over once a year. They appreciate that I know. I buy for the baby grandson but for the eldest grandson, from my son's first marriage, I always sent him money, but last year and this year also he gets nothing. The reason being he can't be bothered to say thank you. If I see him on skype or facebook and would like to talk to him, all I get is "yes, no, bye". When he learns some manners then I'll think again, until then I'm sending no more money.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 05:32 PM

Only my elderly Mum, my hubby, my adult kids. I also usually buy a box of something nice for a neighbour. Thats it!

I stopped buying for nieces and nephews when they all reached 16. Most of them have gone on to have children but I dont buy for them as they get so much stuff already.

Not much Xmas shopping for me, thank goodness.
Heatherbelle
Canada
Heatherbelle is female  Heatherbelle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 05:39 PM

Also stopped buying gifts at Christmas. There is too much emphasis on "gifts" at Christmas as though that is the only time of year to tell family and friends we love them. During the year, I will buy gifts to show my appreciation, have dinners, buy a grandchild a bicycle, etc. For people that celebrate Christmas, the onus should be on family time rather than "what did you get me??"
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Close friends, including one in USA, one in Canada and one in Japan. Postage can cost more than the gift but I know how much they appreciate receiving something they can't get in their own countries. My son and daughter in law, I don't buy anything for them for Christmas or their birthdays, we pay for their flights to come over once a year. They appreciate that I know. I buy for the baby grandson but for the eldest grandson, from my son's first marriage, I always sent him money, but last year and this year also he gets nothing. The reason being he can't be bothered to say thank you. If I see him on skype or facebook and would like to talk to him, all I get is "yes, no, bye". When he learns some manners then I'll think again, until then I'm sending no more money.
Dont blame you Clumsy! My Mum (92) always gives her 6 grandchildren money. I have always insisted my kids ring her and thank her and she loves that. Last year one nephew who must be late 20s now received £20 from her at Xmas and never thanked her. It got round to almost Easter and he was going away so turned up as he usually does when he thinks he might get a few quid!

He walked in and Mum was quick off the mark and asked him if his arm was better. He said "theres been nothing wrong with my arm Nanny" so she said "well you couldn't lift it to ring me after Xmas." He didnt get any money for his holiday either! One year his Xmas gift to HER was a heavy knitted hat with ear flaps which were all the rage for teenagers!! Maybe he had a spare one to give away. They just dont think do they? as if a 90 year old lady would wear one of those?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 05:49 PM

I always try to donate some things for the homeless, and something for local charities. Other than that a few things for myself on Christmas day.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 06:03 PM

I only buy for immediate family members. My children and grandchildren.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 06:11 PM

Just collected the 3 grandchildren's gifts this morning, I only buy for immediate family these days
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 06:12 PM

Have to admit I don't go mad... yes I buy for my Children Grandson Sister and Niece her hubby and their son but not for pals or extended family.

To be honest I have decided to mainly buy gift vouchers this year, I have run out of ideas and at least they can pick what they want.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top