Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 06:46 AM

Peter Hitchens on the Failures of Crime and Punishment Policies

The Hitch is one of the very few voices in the media (I can't think of another one, actually) who still takes a hard line on this issue. It's just uneducated people with terrible grammar and poor thinking skills who phone in to radio talk shows, who still take a strong line.

Those in the media invariably take a very soft approach, which includes not putting people in prison if at all possible.

But one man stands firm:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/ar...r-prisons.html
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 08:50 AM

Re: Peter Hitchens on the Failures of Crime and Punishment Policies

Hmmm.....

Failed experiments and changes going back over 50 years
Lefty liberals refusing to admit they were wrong

You could say the same thing about our schools and educational system
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 10:12 AM

Great article .
I don't care if it is in the Daily Mail he's right !
Jack Dawkins
London
Jack Dawkins is male  Jack Dawkins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 10:14 AM

I'd make Hitchens home secretary. He's one of the few people who talk common sense on this issue. The softer we are on crime the more it grows. We have people with dozens of convictions still walking the streets when they should have been banged up for life years ago.

It's time we got back to some common sense and justice.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jack Dawkins ->
I'd make Hitchens home secretary. He's one of the few people who talk common sense on this issue. The softer we are on crime the more it grows. We have people with dozens of convictions still walking the streets when they should have been banged up for life years ago.

....Yes! I'll second that Jack...
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Dawkins ->

He certainly has the right ideas.Ive always liked what he has to say .
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 03:18 PM

I have always admired Peter Hitchens. He has always shot straight from the hip and said it how it is. I too wish he was our Home Secretary.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 04:19 PM

Well, we can lay the blame for the state of play with our killers sentenced to life imprisonment solely at the feet of the great and mighty EU. Equally guilty are our useless governments.

Since the Death Penalty was abolished for murders committed in Britain in 1965 and 1973 in Northern Ireland, the British public were promised that the Life Sentence that replaced the death penalty would mean Life meant Life and a prisoner found guilty of murder would die in prison.

Oh, how fickle their promises! After the ECHR upheld the appeal of the killers of little Jamie Bulger, that their life sentences (minimum 25 years) was deemed unfair and against their Human Rights, (sigh), the power of Life sentences was taken away from our Politicians and became the order of the day of the EU. Britain was expected to fall into line with their regulations regarding Life Sentencing. Of course, Britain did not need to follow their orders, but you know our Politicians! Ever eager to lie on their tummies to be tickled, they glibly followed every hallowed order.

Out went the usual Life means Life, out went the minimum to serve 25 years, out went 1st degree murder and 2nd degree murder charges, Apart from child killers, sex killers and killers of Policemen, who still received the order for a full life sentence, all other killers sentenced to Life had the Life sentence cut from a minimum 25 years to 15 years before they could apply for parole, and Life sentences have been in decline ever since .
Only last week I was reading of a mass rapist in Britain who attacked 30 victims over the years and sentenced to several life sentence. Now, to the horror of his victims,he has been released on parole after serving just 7 years!!!

It is also stated that 60% of prisoners who were sentenced to life and released on parole, killed again.

By saying the law is an ass is an understatement! The people of Britain and Northern Ireland have been betrayed by these politically correct, Human Rights obsessed thicko’s, who have blood on their hands.

We should be very angry indeed.
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Great article .
I don't care if it is in the Daily Mail he's right !
It's actually The Sunday Newspaper of the Year - The Mail on Sunday. And a top quality paper like The Mail.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2018, 07:21 PM

Hang 'em, flog 'em, let's get back to the eighteenth century.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top