Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:05 AM

Getting fit for 2019 - Are you going to?

Whilst some of post our exercise regimes and routines in the 'Post You Daily Exercise Routine' thread, I know others amongst you do partake in some form of exercise without posting and that's fine. But what about the rest of you on here?

This is not another "Do you exercise?" question, but more of a question to ask yourselves...Do you think you should make an effort next year to look after your health more? And what better time of the year to begin a new exercise, fitness and diet plan than in a few days time at the onset of a brand new year? I do realise that some of you are very ill with various complaints which make physical activity a problematic area...but could you watch your diet more carefully instead, yes? And if the age card is pulled, that is nonsense. It's never too late to start or resume exercise.

So how about it then folks? Ask yourself how much time you spend on the internet and how much of that time you can spare to get motivated and enjoy the benefits of exercise. Even a short brisk walk a couple of times a day makes all the difference toward a better, healthy lifestyle. After all, your health is the most important thing you have in your life. And remember, ''post your daily exercise routines''. If anyone needs help and advice I'm sure us folks in there can assist you with any questions you may have regarding the best way to start exercising

Good luck
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:17 AM

Re: Getting fit for 2019 - Are you going to?

I always feel like I can't do more than I do, I walk the dogs couple of times a day 20 minutes each time. But I save myself for my 3 hours cleaning in the evening. The problem with MS I don't know how I'll feel day to day so planning things is hard. If I do too much I can't work body just says no. So it's hard.

Lucky I'm a fairly happy unfit person. Find joy in little things I can do. I'm resigned to not being fit.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:30 AM

My mind set is 100% on exercise,...how do I get 100% mindset on my diet?..I'm ok for a little while,then I relapse,I hate how I feel,when I eat junk food.i also get depressed over it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:54 AM

When I lost a lot of weight I managed because I saw food as food no good no junk. I added up calories and if I wanted a chocolate bar I had it but I knew that meant less for the rest of my meals. People don't like calories these days but if you use them you can have treats and what you call junk as long as you take that off your allowance.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I always feel like I can't do more than I do, I walk the dogs couple of times a day 20 minutes each time. But I save myself for my 3 hours cleaning in the evening. The problem with MS I don't know how I'll feel day to day so planning things is hard. If I do too much I can't work body just says no. So it's hard.

Lucky I'm a fairly happy unfit person. Find joy in little things I can do. I'm resigned to not being fit.
Julie, there is nothing at all wrong with the exercise you are doing. MS is a debilitating problem and restricts you doing many things in life you enjoy doing, but walking the dogs is very good exercise and it's surprising how many calories you can burn off by doing basic household chores.

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
My mind set is 100% on exercise,...how do I get 100% mindset on my diet?..I'm ok for a little while,then I relapse,I hate how I feel,when I eat junk food.i also get depressed over it.
Hi Pauline.
I relapse into eating not so healthy 'junk' food sometimes at weekends when I'm home and snacking in front of the TV. I also like an afternoon out on Saturday with my friends, which is essential as it's social time away from work. But I'm lucky in that I have good dietary plans for the rest of the week.
One way I've found this year to minimise the amount of fat, sugar and salt content in foods is to check on the items you buy from the supermarket; those 5-band colour-coded nutritional guidelines which range from white (good) to red (bad for you) and rule out anything red or orange. Chocolate, sweets, crisps and ready meals are the worst culprits. Go for crackers and oatmeal snack bars instead.
Include more chicken and fish in your diet and base many recipes and meals around healthy, protein-based foods and you'll see a much improved lifestyle.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 07:17 PM

I haven't done much of my favourite exercise which is hill climbing for the last two years due to having trochanteric bursitis - hills were definitely out of the question.

Now it's getting better I've already started re-introducing hills into my walking routine and hope to be back in full swing in a month or so.

I also swim or do aqua fit 2 or 3 times a week.

That's about it really except on rainy days when we can't go walking, my friend & I have a session at the gym.

I also have my own mini gym - cross trainer - rower - trampoline- weights - kettlebells etc that I use quite often.

The improvement in my bursitis has given me a new lease of life.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 07:53 PM

I'm going to try my best. I live near a health food shop and plan on visiting there more often.

Gone are the days when I could walk 8 miles.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

28-12-2018, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I haven't done much of my favourite exercise which is hill climbing for the last two years due to having trochanteric bursitis - hills were definitely out of the question.

Now it's getting better I've already started re-introducing hills into my walking routine and hope to be back in full swing in a month or so.

I also swim or do aqua fit 2 or 3 times a week.

That's about it really except on rainy days when we can't go walking, my friend & I have a session at the gym.

I also have my own mini gym - cross trainer - rower - trampoline- weights - kettlebells etc that I use quite often.

The improvement in my bursitis has given me a new lease of life.
That's great news Carol. It just goes to show that if that will to succeed; that determination there to break through some barriers and fulfil your goals. Great work
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

28-12-2018, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Ffosse ->
I'm going to try my best. I live near a health food shop and plan on visiting there more often.

Gone are the days when I could walk 8 miles.
Ffosse, you are one of the exceptions mate, and I know you would do your very best to do more exercise if you could. Just putting up with all your ailments is courage and determination way beyond any of us more able-bodied folk who exercise regularly. My full admiration for your continued battling of this awful condition you're in at present. You'll get there buddy
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2018, 07:59 PM

I'm not committing to get fit, I'm committing to get fitTER because I think I am already relatively fit after my healthy diet and fitness regime over the past 18 months.

I go to the gym regular and swim after each session. I also do a spin class once a week and a Zumba class once a week besides walking my dog.

I will continue on my healthy eating regime which I broke for one day (Christmas Day) but back to it on Boxing day.

I'm very lucky because I don't have any debilitating illness so I'm treasuring my ability to exercise whilst I can.

Incidentally, I have arthritis in my left knee which before I embarked on my healthy routine was debilitating and I was in a bad way, however, since losing all this weight I'm happy to report my arthritis is not NEARLY as painful and is definately much, much better.

Happy New Year!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top