Join for free
Page 9 of 23 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 01:19 PM

Re: Bike ride

Loads on eBay. This one comes with mudguards.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Road-Moun...Cclp%3A2334524
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Loads on eBay. This one comes with mudguards.
That bike isn't really my style, Emjay. In fact, it dismays me to think that it is anybody's style.

I bought my last bike on Ebay, and did not find the process enjoyable.

But thanks for the suggestion.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
That bike isn't really my style, Emjay. In fact, it dismays me to think that it is anybody's style.

I bought my last bike on Ebay, and did not find the process enjoyable.

But thanks for the suggestion.
I understand what you say about eBay, but I have bought loads of stuff off there. You have to research the dealers, and check their feedback.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

31-10-2020, 11:51 PM

Fitted the new brake levers today, and finally bought the battery 48V, 13AH, also bough a carrier for the control unit.
Tomorrow I will find out if I have have won the bike with the disc brakes, if not I will fit the motor wheel and keep the caliper brakes.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
I've been trying to buy a bike for several months, but everywhere is sold out.

I used to have two bikes, but I stored them in my son's shed when I moved house, and they both got nicked.

Most bikes these days don't seem to have mudguards, but why not? Is it considered trendy to have a wet, muddy stripe up your back?
I can never see the point of getting a wet/muddy back and legs either. I have a few mountain bikes. Two are good ones. A Claud Butler and a Trek. I did have a Marin as well but I lent it to a grandson and it got stolen.

One thing I have always done when getting bikes is figure out a way of fitting mudguards to them. Not all mountain bikes cater for this but I usually find a way (good old cable ties). Not only that but I like a saddlebag too.

I know many mountain bike riders like their bikes to have a minimal look but these extras don't impede off-road riding in any way.

This is the Claud Butler that I mostly ride when not using the e-bike.

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 01:20 PM

I don't see the point of electric bikes....
Why not just buy a moped or a Honda Fifty if you don't want to exercise?
How on earth will you ever get used to cycling if some electric motor is taking the strain whenever the going gets tough....

I'm with you though Mart about the mudguards and saddlebag...
This bike was looking all forlorn leaning against the wall of a second hand shop back in the early eighties. I spotted the little guides on the frame for a derailer, and a welded bracket for centre pull brakes, so I took it off his hands for eleven quid.

We have since done thousands of miles together including several rides of over fifty miles, and a three day 300 mile coast to coast run from Whitehaven to Robin Hoods Bay, and then down to Scarborough and home to Doncaster.

She's been in mothballs up in the loft for the last few years, but oiled up and ready to accompany me on some more adventures in the future...Not bad for eleven Quid...and then some, to make her the streamlined speed machine that she is now....

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 03:37 PM

I think the thing with electric is a 1000w (Brushless) motor coupled to a 48v battery (if I've read it correctly) offers a maximum unassisted speed of 35mph, and a fair few miles range and, even though batteries are expensive, the whole kit is still cheaper than a Scooter and there is no road tax or insurance to worry about.
Also it is a bit of a gimmick though if a person is well capable of manual peddling, but, if the experience wears a bit thin, there is a more than willing market to sell to if one wishes.
Watch out Lycra Lads.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I don't see the point of electric bikes....
Why not just buy a moped or a Honda Fifty if you don't want to exercise?
How on earth will you ever get used to cycling if some electric motor is taking the strain whenever the going gets tough....
I can only give my own reason for getting one.

Perhaps You first have to come from having ridden and ordinary mountain bike about 50 miles a week on-road and off-road for many years (22 continuous in my case), most often better than younger cyclists. Throw in a few lengthy charity rides too. I think I did my time on only ordinary bikes.

Then you reach an age where the putting in the effort isn't quite as much fun as it used to be (74 when the e-bike was bought but now 76). However, you still enjoy being outside on a vehicle that is lightweight, can be locked to a cycle rack or other convenient but un-obstructive place, doesn't need petrol, oil and hardly any maintenance. That's a push bike but one that is electrically assisted.

If you came from that situation, I think you might see the point of an e-bike.

Anyway, as said, I still ride the Claud Butler for exercise (20 miles a week weather permitting) but the e-bike when going to the shop, doctors, allotment or elsewhere when I don't want to arrive sweaty or knackered.

That looks a good bike OGF. I gave away my racing-style bike because I preferred the more upright position a mountain bike gives. Also, I like to get off-road and away from traffic as much as possible. A racing bike would drop to bits doing the sorts of rides my brother and I used to do. The Claud Butler has come through all that unscathed. Once I'd fitted 'Dutch Perfect' tyres, I never even got a puncture.
Amac
North East of Scotland
Amac is male  Amac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 08:48 PM

You’re being a bit harsh on electric bike users OldGreyFox. I recently got browbeaten into hiring one by my son after not being on a bike for at least 30 years. We had a really enjoyable family day cycling along a canal towpath in the sunshine. It might not be as good exercise as our normal long walks but I would recommend it to anybody wanting to remind themselves of the pleasures of cycling...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2020, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Amac ->
You’re being a bit harsh on electric bike users OldGreyFox. I recently got browbeaten into hiring one by my son after not being on a bike for at least 30 years. We had a really enjoyable family day cycling along a canal towpath in the sunshine. It might not be as good exercise as our normal long walks but I would recommend it to anybody wanting to remind themselves of the pleasures of cycling...
It was a bit tongue in cheek Amac, I'll probably end up getting one myself in the not too distant future....
You ride sounded like a good day out, nice one!....

Page 9 of 23 « First < 7 8 9 10 11 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top