Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 07:39 PM

Freezing Runner beans

I know they always used to say to blanche runner beans before freezing them, but I have seen recently that you can wash, slice and freeze them without blanching too, though it may alter the colour a little.

Does anyone here freeze beans (Meg? ) and if so, what method have you found best please?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 07:53 PM

Re: Freezing Runner beans

I have had a huge crop of beans unfortunately I didn’t pick them quick enough and now they are all too old has beans .
Frankie1944
Herts uk
Frankie1944 is female  Frankie1944 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 07:53 PM

I just wash, leave them to dry then slice them, have never blanched them and never had any problems.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 08:25 PM

Hi Mups I have tried blanching beans then plunging into iced water/ not blanching/freezing whole and have decided the end product isn't worth the effort unless you intend eating them within days. So I now enjoy the beans in their season and give the rest away
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2020, 10:41 PM

Thanks for your opinions Muddy, Frankie and Meg.
It's just that the chap across the road's beans all blew down in the high winds yesterday, so he brought me a load over to share, which was kind of him.
I love fresh beans, but there are too many for me to eat all in one go, and I don't want to waste them.
That is why I asked about freezing some.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2020, 12:17 PM

I've frozen them in the past (unblanched). They're OK but eat asap and have a good wallow. Don't think of keeping until Christmas!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2020, 12:41 PM

Hi

Never freeze them.

Eat them when ready, any surplus is dried and only the beans themselves kept.
Glanny
N.Ireland
Glanny is female  Glanny has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2020, 10:26 PM

I stopped blanching my home grown peas, broad and runner beans years ago when freezing them, not worth the effort and I actually found they were better not blanched and kept fine for months in the freezer without spoiling.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

30-08-2020, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Glanny ->
I stopped blanching my home grown peas, broad and runner beans years ago when freezing them, not worth the effort and I actually found they were better not blanched and kept fine for months in the freezer without spoiling.

Thanks Glanny.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top