Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2020, 10:34 PM

Invalid insurances

I know how devious some insurance companies can be when trying their best to wriggle out of coughing up, but even so, I doubt this would never have occured to me:

Quote:

Millions of home owners are voiding their insurance by posting
holiday pictures on social media.
Research reveals that 25% of Brits are unaware that posting a holiday picture on Instagram or Facebook could mean you are unable to claim if you return home to find your house has been burgled.

Also, one if five are unaware that driving with a pet unsecured can void car insurance too.
Kate Devine, insurance expert at MoneySupermarket, said: "Understand the key provisions of your insurance policies. Acts that might seem innocuous - such as posting a holiday snap online or driving with your dog in the passenger seat - could void your home or car insurance cover.
"Many Brits are unaware this is the case. If you you haven't read your policies for a while, re-read them!"
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 12:01 AM

Re: Invalid insurances

All the dogs wse have had since 1972 have travelled in a cage in the back of a car. Always started when they were pups so they were used to it and only happy travelling in one.
Reminds me of when we had Pasha our first Afhgan hound, we were waiting for the traffic lights to change when a cyclist decided to pass close to the car on the kerb side.
Pasha jumped up in the cage and the guy fell of his bike with shock. Bet he didn't try that again for some time.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 12:08 AM

Another one my insurance company advised of last year concerned the seal between tiles and bath or shower trays, apparently if these are not in good order claims for water damage will not be met.

It's just anything to prevent a claim and fast getting to where it's going to be impossible to claim for anything, other than a complete loss!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 12:15 AM

It took me 18 months and a court case date arranged before the other car drivers insurance backed down. First they said it was my fault, later admitted 25% their drivers. I refused to back down so they eventually admitted it was 50/50, like hell it was so I fought on. Then they went to 75% of accepting blame. It was not until the court date was fixed they accepted it was entirely their drivers fault.
Instead of admitting the blame which would have cost the repair to my car and the writeoff value on their side. Instead they had to pay for my solicitor- my private medical check- injury to my passanger- her solicitor- court costs etc etc.
I recon that cost them instead of the £9500 repair to my car and the writeoff value of his, somewhere around £50,000 in total
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 02:01 AM

House insurance usually has a clause allowing the house to be empty for up to 30 days .
After that you can notify them and pay more for however long you are away .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 06:30 AM

You wouldn't catch me using my real name of Facebook or Instagram, saying where I live or indicating when I'm away on hols.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
House insurance usually has a clause allowing the house to be empty for up to 30 days .
After that you can notify them and pay more for however long you are away .

Yes Muddy, I remember when my old Mum was in hospital and then released into care that her house insurance warned me about her house being empty.

I can't remember all the details now as I was up to my neck in so many other worries involving her, but I do know I had to go and keep checking the house and the security regularly.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
You wouldn't catch me using my real name of Facebook or Instagram, saying where I live or indicating when I'm away on hols.
LOL, you wouldn"t catch me on Facebook , period.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Another one my insurance company advised of last year concerned the seal between tiles and bath or shower trays, apparently if these are not in good order claims for water damage will not be met.

It's just anything to prevent a claim and fast getting to where it's going to be impossible to claim for anything, other than a complete loss!
I don't think it is Baz as when you take up an offer of insurance on a property, by doing so you agree to undertake maintenance as soon as the deficiency becomes evident. Not to do so is the home owner's negligence and therefore a claim through lack of due maintenance would be invalid. The small print can be a minefield and I became aware of those in my policies since my home at the time was struck by lightning and the resultant fire took the top right off the house. It took ages to resolve to my complete satisfaction, but the tussle with the ombudsman was worth the trouble.
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I used to work in an open plan office visible from the reception area in a local council team dealing with the public. Completely visible to all was the wall mounted holiday planner. Co-incidentally a fellow work colleague was burgled whilst on holiday. Apparently he informed all in his local pub where and when his holiday was. He was followed home and his property sussed out.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top