Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 04:26 PM

Re: Can I Refuse to Update My Windows PC/Laptop?

Wow!

Talk about burying everyone in a pile of horse crap!

My screen ran out of ink reading all that!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Wow!

To be honest, I'm afraid I didn't really understand it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Wow!

Thanks for that Tedc ..and I always thought you were a clever fellow!

It isn't there to be read or understood. I don't think anyone understands the exact nature of updates apart from those who develop and release them. All I try to do is demonstrate how Linux updates itself and show the extent of the updates. Surely useful if thinking of going to Linux to avoid updates.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Thanks for that Tedc ..and I always thought you were a clever fellow!

It isn't there to be read or understood. I don't think anyone understands the exact nature of updates apart from those who develop and release them. All I try to do is demonstrate how Linux updates itself and show the extent of the updates. Surely useful if thinking of going to Linux to avoid updates.
I don't see it as avoiding updates.
I see it as avoiding compulsory updates.

If Microsoft presented me with a selection of optional updates, for different aspects of my computer's software, I'd be much happier.

Just one item which immediately springs to mind - Cortana.
Something I never want to use, yet something which I am not allowed to remove from my computer.

Microsoft are too dictatorial for their own good.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 05:24 PM

I'm put off contributing further JBR.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-09-2020, 05:26 PM

I'm put off contributing further JBR.
Why?

If people disagree with what I say, I don't let it put me off.

I'm happy to discuss matters with those who disagree with me without falling out about it.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

30-09-2020, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Why?

If people disagree with what I say, I don't let it put me off.

I'm happy to discuss matters with those who disagree with me without falling out about it.
It's not your opinion JBR. It took time and care to put the post together that was thought 'horse crap!'

I shouldn't have bothered if rudeness is thought OK.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-09-2020, 05:48 PM

It's not your opinion JBR. It took time and care to put the post together that was thought 'horse crap!'

I shouldn't have bothered if rudeness is thought OK.
That I can understand.

Many's the time that I have gone to a great deal of trouble to provide subjects of what I regard as interest either for them to be ignored or even derided.

Such is life!
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-09-2020, 06:37 PM

Microsoft has learnt from past mistakes that the user cannot be trusted to update the operating system when requested to do so with the result being that computer viruses run rampant across the system. Now with Windows 10, software updates that Microsoft deem non critical, they allow the user to manually update their computer or if auto-update is enabled, Windows does it for them. What users cannot do is prevent updates that Microsoft deem very critical to maintaining the security of the users computer. The ONLY way to stop these type of updates to remove internet access from the computer.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

30-09-2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
Microsoft has learnt from past mistakes that the user cannot be trusted to update the operating system when requested to do so with the result being that computer viruses run rampant across the system. Now with Windows 10, software updates that Microsoft deem non critical, they allow the user to manually update their computer or if auto-update is enabled, Windows does it for them. What users cannot do is prevent updates that Microsoft deem very critical to maintaining the security of the users computer. The ONLY way to stop these type of updates to remove internet access from the computer.
As I said before, I am more than happy to regularly update my Windows virus protection and firewall as and when offered by Microsoft.

As long as my Windows installation continues to work, I don't see any advantage in accepting other updates to the system. For what practical reason should I do that?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top